• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Truly Harrowing!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Truly Harrowing!!

M5 horror crash latest: Police reveal details of vehicles involved in crash - Somerset Live

Dreadfully sad incident on saturday afternoon on the M5 north of Bristol.

Was in the car with Mrs SB and SB05 taking her to Uni when we became embroiled in this tragic accident.

The 6-mile traffic jam was allowed to filter out past the scene about 4 hours later and the devastation was huge.

We were probably only 5-10 minutes away from the collision too, which was a sobering thought.

Poor fookers had no chance and we can only hope it was all over quickly.

RIP to all the victims and hats off to the emergency Services and all those nearby that rushed to help.
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Glad you and family are okay Shaun.

Very distressing when this happens especially when its not your fault and a lorry comes crashing from the other side. I drive a lot of miles each week and I am beginning to think its not worth the risk.
    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

This incident reminded me of a YouTube video doing the rounds a few years ago where a truck suddenly swerved across the central reservation causing carnage and many fatalities. Two cars flying up the other side way too fast to stop were totally destroyed, one incinerated to next to nothing. One van got tagged by the truck, spun a few times and tipped on its side but otherwise avoided the carnage, a relatively lucky escape.

If I remember right it turned out the truck had suffered a suspension failure causing it to veer sharply.

Fortunately such occurrences of vehicles breaching the central reservation seem quite rare.
      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
        Fortunately such occurrences of vehicles breaching the central reservation seem quite rare.
        Zeity remembers the truck on the M6 hard shoulder near Coventry with its headlights on, facing the west bound traffic.

The flattened crash barrier on the central reservation a quarter mile further on explained where it had come from.

The driver was as white as a sheet.

But by the grace of whatever deity, no one had been hurt, he'd missed everyone.

Comment

It does make me wonder if the inevitable automation of trucks will make such occurrences almost impossible.

For one, the computer driving the truck should have access to the sensors monitoring the state of the truck, so a blowout or suspension failure, or whatever else could cause it to head for the central reservation will be detected much sooner.

I suppose they'll need tyre technology that avoids flats/blowouts. Solid tyres or some other solution (airless?) as comfort of any human occupant is no longer a consideration.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

I remember once early 90's bazzing up the M6 in a company Talbot Horizon, really tanking it, something in my head told me to slow down, so I did. 3 mins later a mass of red lights in front of me at Lymm junction, filtered past, tanker crossed the central reservation, hit a Volvo head on.

Saw the driver, a woman, had been propelled into the back seat, rear door open, her bloodied leg hanging out, killed instantly. Still see it now, torn tights and blood...

Another time off down the M6 from Scotland where I lived then, Arsenal game at the Reebok, night match, got south of Carlisle, delays, delays, accident ahead etc, blue lights, ambulances flying past, etc.

Eventually crawled past the scene, two people on the hard shoulder, laid out flat, completely covered apart from feet sticking out, dead.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
              M5 horror crash latest: Police reveal details of vehicles involved in crash - Somerset Live

Dreadfully sad incident on saturday afternoon on the M5 north of Bristol.

Was in the car with Mrs SB and SB05 taking her to Uni when we became embroiled in this tragic accident.

The 6-mile traffic jam was allowed to filter out past the scene about 4 hours later and the devastation was huge.

We were probably only 5-10 minutes away from the collision too, which was a sobering thought.

Poor fookers had no chance and we can only hope it was all over quickly.

RIP to all the victims and hats off to the emergency Services and all those nearby that rushed to help.
              Good to hear you're all OK Shaun, it looked absolutely shocking.
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
              X