• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So will we vilify these people for claiming?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Being a victim gets you money and beats working.

Also many of these people have been bought up to believe they are 'disadvantaged' and 'victims of the ills of society' and so it's a role they fit into nicely.
    So first of all they weren't English sorry British enough.

Now they are apparently moaning and playing the victims.

Make up your minds.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

No - no it wasn't - really we are in the 21st century - do we really still think it is acceptable to scrabble through the charred remains of our neighbours in the hope of finding something new and shiny?

No it is not and this is why it should be cracked down on - it's is uncivilised and it is barbaric and has absolutely no place in 21st century Britain.
      My initial comment was aimed at the inventing an additional Gran or two to die in the fire for compensation rather than sifting the wreckage for bling... But actually in another few months people will be doing the sifting thing and calling it salvage work so really its all just semantics...

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        It's part of the growing culture of victimhood.

It's not their fault that their home burnt down and killed most of their neighbours and family, and I suspect some prison sentences as the inquiry finds out what happened. All very sad.

It just seems that being a victim becomes a life-defining event for some people. Or is that just the way it gets reported?
        I see it in other walks of life. "I'm a <insert a reason>, therefore you must all make special efforts for me.". Which is fine but I've seen people become nothing other than an extension of <whatever it was>, and cease to be themselves any longer. Which I suppose is also fine as a personal choice, but it's not for me. I want to be defined by what I do, who I am and where I want to go. Defined by me, not by events that happen to me.

/philosophy
        The media needs victims to make a story.

Political activists need victims so they have a purpose.

Most of the normal people are just trying to get on with their lives - remember they have lost all their documents, personal belongings and have been dumped in different parts of London they don't know - while trying to find out why Kensington and Chelsea, who are ultimately their landlords, could get away with treating them like tulip leading to their own injury - smoke inhalation can have long term effects -, and their trauma plus death of family, neighbours and friends.

The press and political activists would use the trauma of the personnel of the emergency services if there was something to gain like with 9/11 in the US. However as the emergency services are suppose to have access to counselling services and we have an NHS there isn't.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Being a victim gets you money and beats working.

Also many of these people have been bought up to believe they are 'disadvantaged' and 'victims of the ills of society' and so it's a role they fit into nicely.
          ...says the persecuted subject of the EUSSR.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
            ...says the persecuted soon to be EX subject of the EUSSR.
            FTFY
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              FTFY
              He will find something else to whine about soon enough.

Comment

Working...
              X