• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Top of the property market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The thing in this country that will keep house prices up, is as soon as there is a hint that the market is softening, then the supply of houses on the market subdues, instead you only have houses from people who NEED to sell (distressed sales, moving out of the area) rather than who WANT to sell. As a result, that supply/demand equilibrium is maintained.
    Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
      The thing in this country that will keep house prices up, is as soon as there is a hint that the market is softening, then the supply of houses on the market subdues, instead you only have houses from people who NEED to sell (distressed sales, moving out of the area) rather than who WANT to sell. As a result, that supply/demand equilibrium is maintained.
      True. We need way more forced sales.

An interest rate rise should do the trick....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        True. We need way more forced sales.

An interest rate rise should do the trick....
        Interest rate rise, tax on second/empty properties.

Interest rate rises affect everyone on the property ladder who has a mortgage. Taxing those with multiple properties or ones which stay empty “as an investment” only affects the wealthier few.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Interest rate rises affect everyone on the property ladder who has a mortgage. Taxing those with multiple properties or ones which stay empty “as an investment” only affects the wealthier few.
          Now that I've sold my two BTLs, I completely agree with you
          Fooking ****** landlords, buying cheap in the 90s and getting rich doing nothing
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            Fooking ****** landlords, buying cheap in the 90s and getting rich doing nothing
            Thanks for your tax contributions to the economy, now - when can we finally say to you leaving our shores?
            Originally posted by Old Greg
            I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
            ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

I like the idea of an empty property tax.

One that ramps up predictably over a period of months/years so those doing renovations or have genuine reasons for leaving a property temporarily empty (other than for investment) can predict the cost and budget for it.

Eventually the unpaid tax on properties where the owners are abroad or otherwise untraceable will allow the authorities to seize the property to pay off the tax.

In the meantime it will pay for new housing so the government can reduce the amount of housing benefit it pays out by owning the properties, like they did with council houses before they decided to sell them off cheaply.
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
                You forgot to add a very important group of people that will NEED to sell - the ones that can't afford the subprime mortgage, once the inevitable rate rise arrives.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                  You forgot to add a very important group of people that will NEED to sell - the ones that can't afford the subprime mortgage, once the inevitable rate rise arrives.
                  Inevitable?

Not in my lifetime.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    Yes of course, you bought your BTL in the 90's that's right.

I'm not sure I even believe you had an old Aygo, think that might be aspirational dreaming too.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                      Yes of course, you bought your BTL in the 90's that's right.

I'm not sure I even believe you had an old Aygo, think that might be aspirational dreaming too.
                      http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post1231139

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post1089125

Comment

Working...
                      X