Top of the property market Top of the property market - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 41 to 50 of 50

Fingers like lightning

chopper is NOT a disguised employee

The thing in this country that will keep house prices up, is as soon as there is a hint that the market is softening, then the supply of houses on the market subdues, instead you only have houses from people who NEED to sell (distressed sales, moving out of the area) rather than who WANT to sell. As a result, that supply/demand equilibrium is maintained.

I Am Legend

BrilloPad has reached the peak. Play again?

Quote Originally Posted by chopper View Post
    The thing in this country that will keep house prices up, is as soon as there is a hint that the market is softening, then the supply of houses on the market subdues, instead you only have houses from people who NEED to sell (distressed sales, moving out of the area) rather than who WANT to sell. As a result, that supply/demand equilibrium is maintained.
    True. We need way more forced sales.

An interest rate rise should do the trick....

Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

WTFH is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by BrilloPad View Post
    True. We need way more forced sales.

An interest rate rise should do the trick....
    Interest rate rise, tax on second/empty properties.

Interest rate rises affect everyone on the property ladder who has a mortgage. Taxing those with multiple properties or ones which stay empty “as an investment” only affects the wealthier few.
    Strong and Stable Moderation

Better than AtW

sasguru - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by WTFH View Post

Interest rate rises affect everyone on the property ladder who has a mortgage. Taxing those with multiple properties or ones which stay empty “as an investment” only affects the wealthier few.
    Now that I've sold my two BTLs, I completely agree with you
    Fooking ****** landlords, buying cheap in the 90s and getting rich doing nothing
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Contractor Among Contractors

Bean 's job has never been outsourced

Quote Originally Posted by sasguru View Post
    Fooking ****** landlords, buying cheap in the 90s and getting rich doing nothing
    Thanks for your tax contributions to the economy, now - when can we finally say to you leaving our shores?

Super poster

Hobosapien - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by WTFH View Post

I like the idea of an empty property tax.

One that ramps up predictably over a period of months/years so those doing renovations or have genuine reasons for leaving a property temporarily empty (other than for investment) can predict the cost and budget for it.

Eventually the unpaid tax on properties where the owners are abroad or otherwise untraceable will allow the authorities to seize the property to pay off the tax.

In the meantime it will pay for new housing so the government can reduce the amount of housing benefit it pays out by owning the properties, like they did with council houses before they decided to sell them off cheaply.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Contractor Among Contractors

sal 's job has never been outsourced

Quote Originally Posted by chopper View Post
    You forgot to add a very important group of people that will NEED to sell - the ones that can't afford the subprime mortgage, once the inevitable rate rise arrives.

I Am Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    You forgot to add a very important group of people that will NEED to sell - the ones that can't afford the subprime mortgage, once the inevitable rate rise arrives.
    Inevitable?

Not in my lifetime.

Richer than sasguru

DimPrawn is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by sasguru View Post
    Yes of course, you bought your BTL in the 90's that's right.

I'm not sure I even believe you had an old Aygo, think that might be aspirational dreaming too.
    I was miserable and depressed, but CUK turned it all around. Now I'm depressed and miserable.

I Am Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Yes of course, you bought your BTL in the 90's that's right.

I'm not sure I even believe you had an old Aygo, think that might be aspirational dreaming too.
    http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post1231139

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post1089125