• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

It’s not a bike race, that would be illegal...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
    I expect people just travel to Brighton for that.
    I knew there was more to that London to Brighton bike ride than just MAMILs in lycra...
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by jds 1981 View Post
      Great, we agree on that.

But sure, rage about the cyclists..
      I’m complaining about a mountain bike race being held on public roads and byways in an area where racing is dangerous.

In the last 2 months there has been 1 local mountain biker killed and at least 3 others cases where ambulances have had to come out to pick up injured cyclists - no cars involved.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Looks like in previous years the average speed required for a 'gold' was a harrowing, death defying, OAP risking 15.5 miles an hour.
        I suggest you write to your MP immediately to point out the life and limb being risked by this.
        If cyclists doing 15.5 mph isn't illegal it sure as hell should be.
        Utter bollocks.

That's about the average speed a group of riders on a weekend club run would do. At that speed an average club cyclist will be able to sit up, look around and talk easily.

But then ignorance is no barrier to having an opinion, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
          I knew there was more to that London to Brighton bike ride than just MAMILs in lycra...
          Oh yes....pole choking too....

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            I’m complaining about a mountain bike race being held on public roads and byways in an area where racing is dangerous.

In the last 2 months there has been 1 local mountain biker killed and at least 3 others cases where ambulances have had to come out to pick up injured cyclists - no cars involved.
            I presume you mean road bike, mountain bikers try to avoid roads - not mountainy enough.
            It's not a race, it's an organised cycle.

Sounds like a lot of injuries, how many vehicle crashes in the same period?

And then we get to the crux of it, as I originally guessed, you don't want cyclists on your roads.

Comment

Originally posted by RetSet View Post
              Utter bollocks.

That's about the average speed a group of riders on a weekend club run would do. At that speed an average club cyclist will be able to sit up, look around and talk easily.

But then ignorance is no barrier to having an opinion, eh?
              Uh, I guess I needed sarcasm tags?

Comment

I presume you mean road bike, mountain bikers try to avoid roads - not mountainy enough.
                I mean what I said.

It's not a race, it's an organised cycle.
                It’s an organised cycle where people are timed and rewarded based on how fast they go. A bit like the 100m in the Olympics - it’s organised, timed, and there’s gold, silver and bronze awarded for speed.

Sounds like a lot of injuries, how many vehicle crashes in the same period?

If we increase the timeframe to the last year then it’s 1 fatality in a car crash.

And then we get to the crux of it, as I originally guessed, you don't want cyclists on your roads.
                No, you keep saying that. I stated above what I don’t want.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  I mean what I said.

It’s an organised cycle where people are timed and rewarded based on how fast they go. A bit like the 100m in the Olympics - it’s organised, timed, and there’s gold, silver and bronze awarded for speed.

If we increase the timeframe to the last year then it’s 1 fatality in a car crash.

No, you keep saying that. I stated above what I don’t want.
                  That's like saying GCSEs are a race. A/b/c, they aren't though are they?

I'm surprised there were no vehicle accidents in the same period, I can find three in the Malvern area over the last few weeks without even trying hard. (We are talking this area?)
                  Two car crash
                  Crash youths try to hijack car at Lower Interfields near Malvern after accident blackspot collision (From Malvern Gazette)
                  Two car crash
                  Two-vehicle crash in Malvern leaves drivers with minor injuries (From Malvern Gazette)
                  Pedestrian killed by car
                  Man killed after he was hit by a car in Martley (From Malvern Gazette)
                  From the sounds of those they will almost all have required significant police and ambulance time.

Comment

Uh, I guess I needed sarcasm tags?
                    Oops.

I will take my handbagging like a man...

Comment

The ones going at dangerous speeds will surely by definition be the more experienced cyclists less likely to get into trouble... though of course falling off is part of cycling. But it sounds this is more like a park-run vibe... people care about PBs and getting a good time but not to the extent of getting crazy to beat others?
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X