It’s not a bike race, that would be illegal... It’s not a bike race, that would be illegal...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 30

Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

WTFH is always on top

Default It’s not a bike race, that would be illegal...

Another cycling event is being held near me in a few weeks time. They are not allowed to hold races on the roads without the correct permissions, insurances etc. Instead the events are called “sportivs” and the like.

The latest one has a section called “Awards” and it says:

Although all our rides are non competitive events (i.e. not races), most people still like to know how well they've done. With this in mind we will time each participants ride. When you complete your ride your time will be calculated and these timings, along with the timing Award you achieved, will be displayed on the Website. Each rider will receive a timing award of either; bronze, silver or gold, depending on their average speed.
    So it’s not a race, but they’ll time you and give you an award based on how fast you are going.
    Totally unlike a race then.
    Strong and Stable Moderation

Dirty spekulant

Jog On - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by WTFH View Post
    Another cycling event is being held near me in a few weeks time. They are not allowed to hold races on the roads without the correct permissions, insurances etc. Instead the events are called “sportivs” and the like.

So it’s not a race, but they’ll time you and give you an award based on how fast you are going.
    The UK has fallen...
    Because feelings...

Double Godlike!

original PM is a fount of knowledge

Well yes it is a race - simply because people will want to earn gold times and in doing so will take risks which they would not take if there was no prize for it.

Is there a difference between these and the classic car rallies which are done on open roads - but I suppose you get prizes on those for doing sections in a certain average time - which is only achievable if you stick to the speed limit....

But then you do not see roads closed for classic car rallies!

WTFH is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by original PM View Post
    Well yes it is a race - simply because people will want to earn gold times and in doing so will take risks which they would not take if there was no prize for it.

Is there a difference between these and the classic car rallies which are done on open roads - but I suppose you get prizes on those for doing sections in a certain average time - which is only achievable if you stick to the speed limit....

But then you do not see roads closed for classic car rallies!
    Any of the classic car rallies I’ve been involved in have tended to be about driving in convoy from one place to another and arranging to meet people at certain times in certain places.
    I’ve never been at one which is on public roads as a timed event, if it was, the drivers would need additional insurance for their cars.
    In most cases people are precious about making sure they don’t take risks that would damage the car

Dirty spekulant

Jog On - scorchio!

When you complete your ride your time will be calculated and these timings, along with the timing Award you achieved, will be displayed on the Website
    So if they break the speed limit it will be posted on a website with who it was? Don't tell the council...
    Because feelings...

Super poster

The_Equalizer is NOT a disguised employee

Any of the classic car rallies I’ve been involved in have tended to be about driving in convoy from one place to another and arranging to meet people at certain times in certain places.
    I’ve never been at one which is on public roads as a timed event, if it was, the drivers would need additional insurance for their cars.
    In most cases people are precious about making sure they don’t take risks that would damage the car
    Do you have one?

WTFH is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by Jog On View Post
    So if they break the speed limit it will be posted on a website with who it was? Don't tell the council...
    Most of the roads involved are 60mph. Very few motorised vehicles would go above avg 30mph on them.

Should post faster

jds 1981 is a permanent contractor

Most of the roads involved are 60mph. Very few motorised vehicles would go above avg 30mph on them.
    I doubt most of the cyclists will be going above 30 so don't worry.

Come on, why don't you just don't it and say "I don't like cyclists on my streets, I want to be able to sit on my fat arse behind other cars only"?

Sportives are not races, although you will find the odd numpty who might try to 'win' but these are viewed with the same contempt as those who leave numbers on their bikes after everts to prove they're serious or something...

Old Greg is my bitch's bitch

northernladyuk is a fount of knowledge

I'm extremely cross about an aspect of this, but haven't decided which aspect yet.
    Where there's muck there's brass.

I Am Legend

BrilloPad has reached the peak. Play again?

Another Surrey Nimbyer. Does not want anyone anywhere where they live. Let alone cyclists who can actually travel faster than you despite their bike being cheaper than your car.

Personally I would award prizes according to how much litter each cyclist drops. And how many locals they can p1ss off.

And naming your dog "MilitantCyclistKiller" too.

Why not get retired-major-Rupert to use his machine gun on them?