• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Shocking news!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Most idiotic conspiracy theory so far: Google are building a new HQ in the King's Cross area, and Google have invested in Uber rivals Lyft, therefore…
    I heard Uber is being bought out by Elon Musk, who has evidence that the moon landings were faked.

Comment

I wonder what this will mean for IPSE?
      I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
        You're a cheeky little bugger, ain't ya?
        Here's a little tip, from a senile old git who's experienced the same problem as you, but had the good sense to create a workaround solution, thus: if you are going out of an evening on the weekend, don't leave it until the last minute to organise your going home facilities or you will have to wait a bit longer, and may have to travel home in a vomit-stained limousine courtesy of others of your generation who got there first.
        And this is preferable, or as good, as uber, how?

Comment

Originally posted by tiggat View Post
          And this is preferable, or as good, as uber, how?
          FFS there are other taxi/cab apps available.

You can also store cab numbers in your mobile phone.

Or you can take the tube home. There is no need to get so drunk you can't.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
            (About 3 weeks ago, by the sound of it)
            When was the last time you waited 40 mins for a cab?
            About 3 weeks ago when, after getting off a 27 hour flight back from Oz with 3 little kids at Heathrow, 7 (!) black cabs on the trot in the taxi rank outside said, "Nah. Not worth my while mate." As the fair was only £50....

In the end I ended up getting an uber.
            And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

They aren't cabbies. Cabbies train for several years to acquire the Knowledge, and are tightly regulated. These are just randoms with a satnav.

I feel sorry for them, because as Uber pretends they're self-employed, they're completely shafted by this. But you can't equate them with London cabbies.

*cue somebody recounting one bad experience with a London cabbie because anecdote is the singular of data*
              You most definitely cannot compare them.

Until I got fed up with them and moved to Uber last year because I got sick of begging the twats to do what they were being paid for. I would use a black cab twice maybe three times a week. Using my experience as a heavy cab user I can state happily that I have not got into a black cab in the past decade that wasn't using a SatNav...

I have consistently met drivers that apparently do not know an entire side of London despite having said sat nav next to them and who have consistently shown willingness to drive around in circles to improve their fair thinking that they had an idiot in the back.

Uber in comparison have provided me with polite drivers that are willing to go where I need to go in a clean car. They never deviate from the route without first asking (even if it is bad English) and even if I have gone to sleep and am snoring like a drain I am delivered to my digs in a safe state.

The whole drives around on a bike doing the knowledge thing is well past its sell by date with every phone able to do a better job...

Comment

Most idiotic conspiracy theory so far: Google are building a new HQ in the King's Cross area, and Google have invested in Uber rivals Lyft, therefore…
                Lyft aren't in the UK. I can't remember which Didi sister company has a UK market focus - it's Taxify...
                What I've heard on the grapevine is that there is a lot of evidence to back up the allegations enough that I suspect Uber isn't going to win an appeal...
                Last edited by eek; 22 September 2017, 14:30. Reason: found out the company
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
                  I wonder what this will mean for IPSE?
                  especially after that press release....
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                    As recently as last year I can remember walking from the back of Oxford street way to Liverpool Street just to find a black cab that would go East. They are a shocking shower of tulipe and thoroughly deserved the kicking Uber were giving them.
                    And your guide dog didn't even offer to help? Shocking...
                    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                      I don't do tubes while inebriated. Especially in the summer when its warm.
                      There's a euphemism in there somewhere...
                      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                      X