• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Shocking news!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Email from Uber

Originally posted by Uber
    Dear Barry

As you may have heard, the Mayor and Transport for London have announced they will not be renewing Uber’s licence to operate in our city when it expires on 30 September.

We are sure Londoners will be as astounded as we are by this decision. By trying to ban the app from the capital, the Mayor and Transport for London have caved in to a small number of people who want to restrict consumer choice.

Not only will this decision deprive you of the choice of a convenient way of getting about London, it will also put more than 40,000 licensed drivers who rely on our app out of work.

We will be immediately challenging this decision in court.

If you want to continue using the Uber app in London - and to defend the livelihoods of 40,000 licensed drivers - please sign this petition urging the Mayor to think again.

Tom Elvidge,
    Uber London
    I live in the North, so the transport problems of the metropolitans are something I can only fantasise about.

Comment

Originally posted by tiggat View Post
      And this is preferable, or as good, as uber, how?
      Uber aren't very good at doing background checks, and I don't trust them. We are all free to make our choices, I've never used Uber and never will. That's not changing any time soon...
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
        Uber aren't very good at doing background checks, and I don't trust them. We are all free to make our choices, I've never used Uber and never will. That's not changing any time soon...
        TfL licence the drivers, not Uber.

Comment

Originally posted by saptastic View Post
          There are no black cabs at night. And during the day cabs are so expensive. My local firm is always a 15 minute wait.
          Uber is so convenient and cheaper than the other cabs.

There may have been some issues but I am sure the same with other cab firms & am sure relatively limited.
          This business model is driven by user satisfaction otherwise it wouldn't be popular and shows current cab model is outdated.

This decision by the Mayor (I assume) is a massive backward step for London.
          Business travellers & tourists I come across all use Uber across London as I do abroad.

How can it be acceptable across the UK and every other country but for some reason not London????

I think this is hugely embarrassing (unless they can truly justify the decision).
          I have signed the petition. I think this is a disaster. I've been using Uber for three years on a very regular basis.The cars are clean, new and the drivers polite and helpful overall. Any problems I've had were sorted quickly and I got my money back. I've packed family member off in Ubers and not had to worry as I could track the trip. I often talk to the drivers and the things they say about the way passengers behave would make your hair curl. I don't want to go back to the bad old day of dirty cars, rude drivers and rubbish controllers. Couple of nights ago I ordered a mini cab for the first time in ages for a very early morning journey as I needed to catch a train. I ordered it the night before and gave the full address and time I needed the pick up. The driver turned up early and expected me to drop everything and come out. When I eventually left the house he was in another part of the road instead of outside my address. He said he thought I would find him!!!

Comment

Originally posted by fannyadams View Post
            TfL licence the drivers, not Uber.
            But Uber is suppose to sack them/stop them working under their name, if there are complaints of inappropriate behaviour especially of a sexual nature or crazy driving.

Other mini-cab companies and the bus companies can do it so why can't Uber?

Btw I heard in Texas Uber lost their licence for similar reasons. They promised to sort out their conduct and got it back. Uber have already had around 6 months to do so, so why haven't they done it?
            Last edited by SueEllen; 22 September 2017, 19:18.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              But Uber is suppose to sack them/stop them working under their name, if there are complaints of inappropriate behaviour especially of a sexual nature or crazy driving.

Other mini-cab companies and the bus companies can do it so why can't Uber?

Btw I heard in Texas Uber lost their licence for similar reasons. They promised to sort out their conduct and got it back. Uber have already had around 6 months to do so, so why haven't they done it?
              Yep - it's a bit strange. Point 1 - not reporting crimes may have grounds - although they would need to demonstrate that they have improved procedure.

Point 2 and 3 - Medical certificates and DBS, are surely down to TfL?

Point 4 - Greyball - a definite no-no - but has it been a problem in London where Uber have, up till now, been licensed?

All seems a bit political, but nothing new there. I suspect at the end of the appeals process, they will get their licence.

Comment

I use Uber on a fairly regular basis in Cov and occasionally in the smoke too. I thought the only people that used black cabs in London were MPs spending our money.

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
                  Email from Uber

I live in the North, so the transport problems of the metropolitans are something I can only fantasise about.
                  You were lucky. We were evicted from our app.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                    You were lucky. We were evicted from our app.
                    Your own app? Luxury. We had to share with 5 other families in't street.

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
                      Your own app? Luxury. We had to share with 5 other families in't street.
                      "in't street?" Posh bastard. Hole in't ground it were for us...
                      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                      X