• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Shocking news!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meridian View Post
    "The decision to stop Uber operating in London was "disproportionate" and has put thousands of jobs at risk, the prime minister has told the BBC."

Thousands of self-employed small businesses, surely, which the Tories don't give a flying f about...
    Indeed. However its just to try to give Labour a kicking. That she bothers to respond to Sadiq Khan shows how rattled she is. She should have got a junior minister to respond.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Indeed. However its just to try to give Labour a kicking. That she bothers to respond to Sadiq Khan shows how rattled she is. She should have got a junior minister to respond.
      So both May and Corbyn are scared of Khan, as they know he can't stay Mayor of London forever and they see Boris causing problems.

Interesting....
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44612837

I love my Uber's so welcome back (its like you never went away)

Comment

Last year Mrs B, the B Jr x3, and I got off the plane at Heathrow following a flight from Australia all absolutely knackered. Every single black cab refused to take us as the fair would only be around £50 and it wasn't worth their time.

It turns out that Heathrow has implemented a fixed fair system, but black cabs aren't obligated to take anyone. We eventually ordered an uber who turned up in a nice shiny new car and was very courteous and polite.

IMO black cabs have had their day. They're expensive, are often "Not going that way mate", and both they and uber drivers use the same satnav apps so 'the knowledge' is a bit pointless now anyway.
          And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
            Last year Mrs B, the B Jr x3, and I got off the plane at Heathrow following a flight from Australia all absolutely knackered. Every single black cab refused to take us as the fair would only be around £50 and it wasn't worth their time.

It turns out that Heathrow has implemented a fixed fair system, but black cabs aren't obligated to take anyone. We eventually ordered an uber who turned up in a nice shiny new car and was very courteous and polite.

IMO black cabs have had their day. They're expensive, are often "Not going that way mate", and both they and uber drivers use the same satnav apps so 'the knowledge' is a bit pointless now anyway.
            You were unlucky.

I have local mini-cab numbers in my phone. I've actually found mini-cabs cheaper than Ubers for airports and mainline train stations as the fares are fixed. The reason they are cheaper is they frequently do drop before they pick you up.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I catch the bus £3 and it arrives in the adjacent road making it a 200 yard walk home.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post

Agreed - why undertake and fund the knowledge for years when you have Waze.

Comment

Deja vu

Uber loses licence to operate in London - BBC News

His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

But they can still keep operating while they appeal.

It has crossed my mind that if they ever are shut down, what replaces the void might be worse.

Comment

It pisses me off that they keep insisting Uber is a ride sharing app...

Comment

Working...
                      X