• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting Milestone

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That’s 10 years more than many of the posters on here.

Congratulations, I hope your company bought you a gift.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

This has made me realise I'll be 20 years in contracting next year.

Though have had a few significant timeouts over those years but never went back to permie.
      Still feel relatively skint though, considering the amount I have invoiced over that time.
      Then again, my warchest means I could take 5 years off at current burn rate.

I must be having a mid contractor life crisis as I've been mulling over going permie at current public sector client (they have a vacancy for a similar role I'm doing for them), and take the easy life to retirement like many there seem to be doing. May not be a completely bad idea when considering the pension and other salary package benefits they are potentially offering.

I may string them along like a PM contractor I worked with over 10 years ago, who strung them along saying he was interested in going permie but needed better terms. I expect he's still there permitracting, making the brexit negotiations seem swift and sane.
      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post

Though have had a few significant timeouts over those years but never went back to permie.
        Still feel relatively skint though, considering the amount I have invoiced over that time.

I must be having a mid contractor life crisis as I've been mulling over going permie at current public sector client (they have a vacancy for a similar role I'm doing for them), and take the easy life to retirement like many there seem to be doing. May not be a completely bad idea when considering the pension and other salary package benefits they are potentially offering.

I may string them along like a PM contractor I worked with over 10 years ago, who strung them along saying he was interested in going permie but needed better terms. I expect he's still there permitracting, making the brexit negotiations seem swift and sane.
        Can you work from home?

Can you have flexibility time?

Can you have lots of holiday?
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          That’s 10 years more than many of the posters on here.

Congratulations, I hope your company bought you a gift.
          lightweights.
          45 years and counting ;-)
          divorce put paid to most of the funds, the rest was sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll. although i HAVE squandered some........

Comment

I hit 9 years in June, haven't regretted it for a second, and long may it continue!

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post

Permie at a public sector body?! Seriously Hobo take the red pill, wake up and see what's what.

I suppose though it depends on your age and if you actually want to do anything interesting on the 9 to 5 rat maze.

And 5 years warchest should be transferable into an (almost) unlimited timespan investment.

But 20 years, wow. I'm at 13 years and running down this last client who have just asked me to renew under less-than-favourable terms. I've actually saved my pin-striped suit that I will be burning when I'm done with contracting (and possibly IT), in the not too distant future. Bit young to retire, but life isn't about working, there's more to do before we die.

Good luck H.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
                Yes it is 10 years ago today that I started my contracting career

Stuff....

So here is to another ten years
                Poor sap, I did 10 years then retired.

Comment

20 years contracting with some permie stints to pick up new skills/make new contacts.
                  Funnily enough thought it would dry up, but currently never had it so good.
                  If you want a long contracting career, keep training is my advice, always try and pick up new skills - luckily I enjoy doing that.
                  Could retire but still enjoying it.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                    lightweights.
                    45 years and counting ;-)
                    divorce put paid to most of the funds, the rest was sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll. although i HAVE squandered some........
                    Exactly. 10 years? - he's still a novice. Come back when you've done 25 years, banged two chief executives' secretaries, drunk each IT director under the table, and dropped a production database..

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
                      Exactly. 10 years? - he's still a novice. Come back when you've done 25 years, banged two chief executives' secretaries, drunk each IT director under the table, and dropped a production database..
                      Only 2 secretaries and one prod db? Unless that’s “per year”, I’m starting to think you might be ScooterCandy.
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X