• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Memories of Old Radio 1...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memories of Old Radio 1...

...on a Saturday afternoon.

I would descend to the bowels of School House where I would grab a hot bag of salty nuts from old mother Vagg and retire to my bed in the dorm where I would spend the afternoon cuddled up with my tranny (unless it was an exiat, of course, in which case I'd be hacking across the moors on an old nag).

I would listen to all the latest comings and goings from Dingly Dell for a couple of hours and this was always followed by a show that I only have sketchy memories of but it was absolutely rip-roaringly hilarious.

I'm hoping somebody here can shed some light on it for me.

Allow me to elucidate; it featured all the normal pop hits, past and present but rather than all the normal inane babble between songs, the DJ used to interact with audio clips of old comedy shows.

It was very clever the way he did it. Very redolent of that film in which Steve Martin talks back to clips of old black and white movies. I can't remember the name of that either though I'm sure he stole the idea from the radio 1 show which must have predated that film by a couple of decades.

Can anyone remember the name of the DJ?

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post

I would descend to the bowels of School House where I would grab a hot bag of salty nuts from old mother Vagg and retire to my bed in the dorm where I would spend the afternoon cuddled up with my tranny (unless it was an exiat, of course, in which case I'd be hacking across the moors on an old nag).

I would listen to all the latest comings and goings from Dingly Dell for a couple of hours and this was always followed by a show that I only have sketchy memories of but it was absolutely rip-roaringly hilarious.

Allow me to elucidate; it featured all the normal pop hits, past and present but rather than all the normal inane babble between songs, the DJ used to interact with audio clips of old comedy shows.

It was very clever the way he did it. Very redolent of that film in which Steve Martin talks back to clips of old black and white movies. I can't remember the name of that either though I'm sure he stole the idea from the radio 1 show which must have predated that film by a couple of decades.

I think I can recall you grabbing my hot salty nuts the going for a ride on the moors.

Cannot remember any radios though.....

Comment

As a kid had a home made radio and earpiece and listened to Radio Luxembourg (the only pop station in those days)
      The signal used to fade in and out
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Was it Adrian Juste ?

He started out on BRMB in Birmingham where my dad was a presenter too and then went to Radio 1

Comment

that film in which Steve Martin talks back to clips of old black and white movies. I can't remember the name of that either though
          Dead Men don't wear Plaid!

One of my all-time faves,

HTH

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by Spellbinder View Post
            Was it Adrian Juste ?

He started out on BRMB in Birmingham where my dad was a presenter too and then went to Radio 1
            Adrian Juste! Yes, of course. They really were the golden days of radio what with him and the late, great Kenny Everett.

Let's bomb Russia!

Let's kick Michael Foot's stick away!

Wonnerful stuff.

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
            Dead Men don't wear Plaid!

One of my all-time faves,

HTH

And that makes it a full house. Thanks boys!

Comment

There used to be an album review programme on Saturday afternoons on Radio 1. Can't remember who presented it but they'd play each track off the album and discuss it in depth with the artist/band.

I'll never forget the time they reviewed Penis Envy by Crass. Turned the airwaves blue...Sure someone must have got fired for that one. Essential listening though.

Comment

It's spelled "exeat", as anybody who'd actually attended such a school would know

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  It's spelled "exeat", as anybody who'd actually attended such a school would know
                  The closest I ever got was:

Jennings shone a light on the (junior) human condition - Telegraph

Comment

Working...
                  X