Employment screening Employment screening
Posts 1 to 8 of 8

Still gathering requirements...

CoderSaturn has no reputation

Default Employment screening

I've recently been offered a new contract with a big finance company, the agency setting this up has requested the standard stuff that will be passed onto an external company (VeroScreening) to perform a background check.

Passport
    Proof of address
    Utility bill
    Certificate of incorporation

etc

I am perfectly happy to submit that, I am assuming that they will be most likely interested in Financial and background checks, not declared bankrupt, CCJs, eligibility to work in the UK, proof of who I am, where I live, legitimate company/vat registered etc which there will be no problems.

However the problem is one of the questions, "Do you have any convictions? Including motor?"

A few year ago I was convicted of drink driving and this is my only conviction. Ideally, what is the best course here? Should I disclose it? I know honesty is the best policy, however I do feel somewhat ashamed of this and feel it could go against me. The 4 people I will be working with will most likely be informed of this, something I would also not like them to know.

I asked one of the people who went through the screening process and they said it was instant. So I am wondering if they did not conduct a DBS check?

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Last edited by CoderSaturn; 22nd September 2017 at 17:55.

Old Greg is my bitch's bitch

northernladyuk is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by CoderSaturn View Post
    I've recently been offered a new contract with a big finance company, the agency setting this up has requested the standard stuff that will be passed onto an external company (VeroScreening) to perform a background check.

Passport
    Proof of address
    Utility bill
    Certificate of incorporation

etc

I am perfectly happy to submit that, I am assuming that they will be most likely interested in Financial and background checks, not declared bankrupt, CCJs, eligibility to work in the UK, proof of who I am, where I live, legitimate company/vat registered etc which there will be no problems.

However the problem is one of the questions, "Do you have any convictions? Including motor?"

A few year ago I was convicted of drink driving and this is my only conviction. Ideally, what is the best course here? Should I disclose it? I know honesty is the best policy, however I do feel somewhat ashamed of this and feel it could go against me. The 4 people I will be working with will most likely be informed of this, something I would also not like them to know.

I asked one of the people who went through the screening process and they said it was instant. So I am wondering if they did not conduct a DBS check?

Any advice would be appreciated.
    You know honesty is the best policy.
    Where there's muck there's brass.

Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

WTFH is always on top

Honesty is the best policy, but it is unlikely that your conviction will be shared with your colleagues.
    Strong and Stable Moderation

Old Greg is my bitch's bitch

northernladyuk is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by WTFH View Post
    Honesty is the best policy, but it is unlikely that your conviction will be shared with your colleagues.
    A nod here and a wink there.
    Where there's muck there's brass.

More fingers than teeth

greenlake has reached the peak. Play again?

Quote Originally Posted by CoderSaturn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WTFH View Post
    If you have to go drinking with them, wait until your last day....

My post count is Majestic

vetran is always on top

could be a nice little earner if they tell your colleagues then get a decent lawyer!
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

My post count is Majestic

northernladuk is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by greenlake View Post
    If you have to go drinking with them, give them a lift home aftwards ...
    FTFY
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Fingers like lightning

Uncle Albert is NOT a disguised employee

How long will my conviction stay on record? - disclose.me.uk

Assuming you didn't go to prison and were over 18 at the time then you only need to declare it if it was within one year. Obviously if you are applying for anything that needs a DBS check or more then you'll have to come clean.

I have one criminal conviction but I didn’t go to prison
    You only have to tell if asked. If you received a fine, and you are asked, you currently have to declare your conviction for 6 months if you were 17 or under when convicted, or 1 year if over 18, from the date of conviction. Applying for a job which involves a DBS check? DBS checks show all convictions whether spent or unspent. However, if you only have one non custodial conviction it will only appear for 6 years if you were under 18 when convicted. If you were over 18 when convicted it will appear for 11 years. However, if the conviction is deemed more serious then it will still appear.
    England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.