• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Shopping at Duty Free

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shopping at Duty Free

Good Morning All,

Nevertheless, back to business.

Milan.
    Last edited by milanbenes; 25 September 2017, 07:12.

You really have set the bar spectacularly low benesy.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Good Morning Shaun,

well I was only wondering

Milan.

Comment

Milan, to answer your original question, yes you can skip a flight, but you need to go from departures to arrivals then clear customs.
        I’ve done this once in Jo’burg (not to miss the flight but to get my receipts stamped to get the tax back, long story)

Of course, what you were suggesting may well be illegal depending on the value of the item and the allowances of the country. It may also not be that cost effective, by the time you include the price of the flight, the cost of getting to/from the airport and the prices in airport shops.
        If you’re actually looking for one, I’d suggest somewhere like http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk
        ...cheaper than the high street or the airport, legal and not fakes.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

thank you,

let's be clear, I am _not_ at all suggesting or recommending illegal behaviour.

It would be interesting to know, legally speaking if going airside and being airside fulfills the criteria.

By the way good prices on that site.

Milan.
          Last edited by milanbenes; 25 September 2017, 09:05.

Comment

Once you’ve gone through passport control, you have been effectively “checked out” of the country at which point you are In Transit.
            If passport control is after the shops (such as at Turin airport), then you have not been checked out.

The UK did away with airport passport control on exit about 10 years ago in an effort for the Home Office to save money, since then there are few/no checks on who is leaving the country. That raises the confusing situation of “when do you leave the UK?” If no one checks you out of the country, then the reliance is on the airline and the arriving country to know that you are no longer in the UK.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Get a gig in an airport and get an airside security pass. You can shop/lunch in the IDL every day with an extra discount for employees which any pass holder can enjoy.
              "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                You really have set the bar spectacularly low benesy.

Then you should be able to reach it from your mobility scooter.

Comment

Working...
                X