• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bremoaners - the sooner they are culled the better

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    There should be a Brexit app. All eligible voters have a Remain / Leave status which they update whenever they change their mind. Newly eligible voters record their status for the first time, and voters who lose eligibility have their status discounted.

Any time the balance changes, Article 50 is invoked or withdrawn accordingly.

we'd be in and out like the proverbial fiddler's elba

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
      We had a referendum to stay in the EEC which at the time consisted of 9 countries and was geared around freedom of trade.

Not quite the same.
      Most of the new countries who joined are there because of the UK's efforts to get them in.

...and they're still at it.

Boris Johnson says UK will support Turkey's bid to join EU despite Brexit vote | The Independent
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        Most of the new countries who joined are there because of the UK's efforts to get them in.

...and they're still at it.

Boris Johnson says UK will support Turkey's bid to join EU despite Brexit vote | The Independent
        Well, Great-Grandpapa was Minister of the Interior of the Ottoman Empire.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Don't believe in democracy.
          Now that's just not true. It's just that I'd prefer that thick people didn't have the vote.
          Can't provide a single argument - just insults.

Why can't we all just be friends?
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
            Much though I am loath to agree, good points. Where did you copy it from?

On this basis, should not the referendum be re-run every few years?
            The death figure here is for England & Wales, I extrapolated from there:
            https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...rriages/deaths

And 17 year olds:
            https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...olds_in_uk_200

So I rounded them to:
            50k per month death rate
            60k per month hitting 18 years old.

I’m not saying the referendum should be run every couple of years but that perhaps once any deals are finally struck the numbers of those still alive/of voting age will have changed significantly.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              The death figure here is for England & Wales, I extrapolated from there:
              https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...rriages/deaths

And 17 year olds:
              https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...olds_in_uk_200

So I rounded them to:
              50k per month death rate
              60k per month hitting 18 years old.

I’m not saying the referendum should be run every couple of years but that perhaps once any deals are finally struck the numbers of those still alive/of voting age will have changed significantly.
              It's reasonable to have a referendum on the term of the exit deal. There is no mandate for or against leaving the EEA.

Comment

Whining, unpleasant and moronic. Don't believe in democracy. Can't provide a single argument - just insults.

And that is just the CUK mods(apart from cojak) who has the good sense to keep quiet. The rest are even worse.

Hopefully they will soon be rounded up and sent for extermination.
                If you kill off all the remain voters, who’s going to pay taxes to make sure the leavers still get their heating allowance and pension?
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Whining, unpleasant and moronic. Don't believe in democracy...
                  There was nothing democratic about the referendum. No one could possible understand the choice being made. Even until this day politicians do not know what it should look like despite lying through their teeth during the hustings.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    There was nothing democratic about the referendum. No one could possible understand the choice being made. Even until this day politicians do not know what it should look like despite lying through their teeth during the hustings.
                    There was something democratic about the referendum. People got votes.

It's just regrettable that the implications of the referendum are complex, an awful lot of people are stupid, and the campaign was conducted negatively by the Remain side, and dishonestly by the Leave side.

Comment

There was nothing democratic about the referendum. No one could possible understand the choice being made.
                      You could make the same argument about general elections. Very few are well informed about every issue when deciding which party to vote for and there are so many unknowns that even the wisest & most knowledgeable are taking a gamble.

Most vote with their instincts and in their own interests and that is probably the wisest thing they can do. Societies are more likely to work if we go with the realities of human nature rather than pursue impractical ideals that ignore them.
                      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                      X