Oh goodie, we can have free trade with the USA Oh goodie, we can have free trade with the USA - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 11 to 20 of 38
  1. #11

    Faqqed Off

    TheFaQQer is a fount of knowledge

    TheFaQQer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    36,488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zeitghost View Post
    Maybe they could build the flux capacitor factory there.
    That'll take time.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

  2. #12

    Super poster

    The_Equalizer is NOT a disguised employee

    The_Equalizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Back end of UK PLC
    Posts
    2,569

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WTFH View Post
    220% may not be the end of it, there are further rulings to come.

    Maybe the DUPe will use some of their £1.5bn to entice Dyson to build his cars in the UK. After all, NI has history in the automotive industry...
    Harry Ferguson’s tractors (in England he worked with David Brown)
    John Dunlop invented the pneumatic tyre in Belfast
    And then there was DeLorean.
    A man that is so keen on the truth would know the DUP won't being doing anything with the money - Stormont is in mothballs. Moreover, it would be the entire NI Assembly that decides, not the DUP.

  3. #13

    Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

    WTFH is always on top

    WTFH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    17,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    A man that is so keen on the truth would know the DUP won't being doing anything with the money - Stormont is in mothballs. Moreover, it would be the entire NI Assembly that decides, not the DUP.
    Stormont is shut at the minute, but all the MLAs are on full salary even though they are doing nothing.

    As for who decides what happens with that money, should the assembly ever reconvene, there will be some debate but ultimately the majority will have their way for most of it.
    Strong and Stable Moderation

  4. #14

    Super poster

    The_Equalizer is NOT a disguised employee

    The_Equalizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Back end of UK PLC
    Posts
    2,569

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WTFH View Post
    Stormont is shut at the minute, but all the MLAs are on full salary even though they are doing nothing.

    As for who decides what happens with that money, should the assembly ever reconvene, there will be some debate but ultimately the majority will have their way for most of it.
    So what will they spend it on? Are you suggesting that DUP voters only will receive the money?

  5. #15

    More fingers than teeth

    BlasterBates - scorchio!

    BlasterBates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    1922 Commitee
    Posts
    14,021

    Default

    Don't worry about that the World is a big place if the US behaves like a big bully the UK can sell their goods to the EU instead......ah hang on
    I'm alright Jack

  6. #16

    Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

    WTFH is always on top

    WTFH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    17,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    So what will they spend it on? Are you suggesting that DUP voters only will receive the money?
    No, I’m not suggesting that at all. I’m saying that the majority in Stormont will have the majority say in where it gets spent.
    Even if there were just 2 parties in Stormont and the DUP had 52% of the vote, they would not completely ignore and ridicule the other party who only had 48%. They would make some effort to work together for the betterment of the country.
    Strong and Stable Moderation

  7. #17

    Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

    WTFH is always on top

    WTFH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    17,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Don't worry about that the World is a big place if the US behaves like a big bully the UK can sell their goods to the EU instead......ah hang on
    North Korea needs planes.
    Strong and Stable Moderation

  8. #18

    Godlike

    Mordac is a fount of knowledge

    Mordac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Civilisation-ish
    Posts
    8,727

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WTFH View Post
    North Korea needs planes.
    North Korea is going to need a bit more than that, at this rate...
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

  9. #19

    Fingers like lightning

    chopper is NOT a disguised employee


    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    998

    Default

    Bombardier is a Canadian company - the CSeries jet is a Canadian designed and built jet. The wings are made in Belfast.

    This isn't a UK-US dispute, this is a US-Canada dispute (Bombardier has built a superior aeroplane in competition with the Boeing 737, but Bombardier needed a rescue package from the Canadian government). The UK is involved because it is part of the supply chain.

    As for free trade with the US, do we really want that? The UK already has a trade surplus with the US, the US will only give us an FTC if it helps them narrow that gap.

  10. #20

    Super poster

    woohoo is a fount of knowledge

    woohoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In the country
    Posts
    4,296

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chopper View Post
    Bombardier is a Canadian company - the CSeries jet is a Canadian designed and built jet. The wings are made in Belfast.

    This isn't a UK-US dispute, this is a US-Canada dispute (Bombardier has built a superior aeroplane in competition with the Boeing 737, but Bombardier needed a rescue package from the Canadian government). The UK is involved because it is part of the supply chain.

    As for free trade with the US, do we really want that? The UK already has a trade surplus with the US, the US will only give us an FTC if it helps them narrow that gap.
    Excellent post.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •