• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wedding Etiquette Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like you say, potential minefield. I would say whatever gift you may have thought to give them if you were to buy one, take the monetary value of that and pop it into a post card.

30 quid should do it.

Comment

Who the **** uses cheques?

This is the 21st century, so obviously bitcoin.

Comment

Did this for our wedding, nearly 20 years ago now. Financed three months' honeymoon and travelled the world, much better than a matching duvet set.

It depends on the couple, but we didn't care if it was cash or cheque, and didn't keep any tally of who gave what (or even cared too much if the old aunts still insisted on giving the bed set). Anything was gratefully received with thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
          Like you say, potential minefield. I would say whatever gift you may have thought to give them if you were to buy one, take the monetary value of that and pop it into a post card.

30 quid should do it.
          I would give them a £30 Argos voucher.

Any couple who openly asks for money for themselves I don't give it to them.

However I do know people who have asked for nothing, where at least one of them comes from a cultural background where money is normally given at weddings so I happily give them money.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

why should anyone give money to people just because they're stupid enough to get married?

Comment

Was at a wedding recently where the couple are not that wealthy, but bridezilla had certain things that were required. They spent about 20k on their wedding and had nothing left for a honeymoon. But she didn’t care, she got her special day that they will be repaying for years.

Stick £20 in an envelope (or write a cheque from your company)
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                Did this for our wedding, nearly 20 years ago now. Financed three months' honeymoon and travelled the world, much better than a matching duvet set.

It depends on the couple, but we didn't care if it was cash or cheque, and didn't keep any tally of who gave what (or even cared too much if the old aunts still insisted on giving the bed set). Anything was gratefully received with thanks.
                And that in my mind is how it should be. Bleeding millenials spoiling it innit.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

A trial finders voucher or similar. No cash no cheque.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    And that in my mind is how it should be. Bleeding millenials spoiling it innit.
                    Not necessarily one of my siblings was complaining about one of his mates getting married again
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      Not necessarily one of my siblings was complaining about one of his mates getting married again
                      Nothing wrong with getting married again, just asking for money to pay for something else they can't afford a deposit checking who's given what. Maybe I should start offering honeymoons on a lease to them.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X