• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wedding Etiquette Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    A trial finders voucher or similar. No cash no cheque.
    Nah don't do that.

Problem with trial finders is people can often find flights cheaper.

You are better of just getting them a voucher from a generic high street shop where they can buy something hence my mention of Argos. Though other people go to department stores e.g. John Lewis, Debenhams if they don't dislike the people.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      I would give them a £30 Argos voucher.

Any couple who openly asks for money for themselves I don't give it to them.
      This is really petty.

If someone has a wedding list, do you just deliberately buy them something not on the list?

Comment

The Wife (tm) and I may have to renew our vows as she’s broken a couple of the Denby bowls and I’d like someone to buy us new ones.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          The Wife (tm) and I may have to renew our vows as she’s broken a couple of the Denby bowls and I’d like someone to buy us new ones.
          What did you do to cause them to throw the bowls at you?

I can't wait for the stag do. I will invite all those you have given infractions to over the years.....

Comment

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
            This is really petty.
            The only people who have done that are relations - and it was only one. My friends and acquaintances have manners.

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
            If someone has a wedding list, do you just deliberately buy them something not on the list?
            Nah I try to get to the wedding list first.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              But it's better than 5 god awful cheap toasters and other tasteless cheap that doesnt match a single thing. I remember everyone wailing when wedding lists at John lewisvetc etc became popular.
              I never needed any of that tat at either wedding.

First one was abroad - just the two of us.

Second one we asked for charity donations.

Now, which "wit" is going to ask about the other 10 weddings?

I think I need funding for a divorce anyway....

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                My friends and acquaintances have manners.
                Your CUK friends don't....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Your CUK friends don't....
                  CUK friends? Now there's an oxymoron

Comment

In answer to the OP. I would consider how much I would genuinely spend on a gift and just pop the cash in a card. You don't have to reference the cash in the card, keep that to generic "congratulations on your big day, sorry I can't be there"

There was something in the news recently where a couple were charging £150 for people to attend their wedding

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                      why should anyone give money to people just because they're stupid enough to get married?
                      Why should any give gifts to people just because it's their birthday, or it's the 25th of December?

There's no tricky etiquette here. If either one of the couple are friends of yours, then give them cash, a cheque, or pay directly into their account - up to the amount you want to spend. If they're only passing acquaintances, then don't feel obliged to give anything, especially if you're not going to turn up for the booze and food etc.

If a couple are already well flush, then I think giving nothing is fine, if you don't want to. The original idea of wedding gifts was to help the young couple set up in life. Not fund a holiday they can well afford themselves.

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      What about the other ten weddings?
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X