• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying a Business

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wait, so the building is owned by the business but the land underneath it is leased? Hmm. I would be very cautious - Baring in mind my mates aforementioned business literally halved in size due to relationships going sour, if that land owner and you don't see eye to eye then it could end in tears.

From the outside it looks like the business owner has a few problems:

1) Business losing money
    2) Lease probably approaching renewal / running short of time
    3) Fed up of using his time at weekends sorting out 16 year olds that didnt turn in for work
    4) No online presence and has no idea where to start
    5) Has other commitments (suspect this is only a minor part of his reason for sale)

Based on those points alone I would say that business of his is really not worth all that much and it sounds like a huge amount of work to get going - great project! You'd really have to be truly invested in it emotionally and financially though I feel, OP.

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
      Wait, so the building is owned by the business but the land underneath it is leased? Hmm. I would be very cautious - Baring in mind my mates aforementioned business literally halved in size due to relationships going sour, if that land owner and you don't see eye to eye then it could end in tears.

From the outside it looks like the business owner has a few problems:

1) Business losing money
      2) Lease probably approaching renewal / running short of time
      3) Fed up of using his time at weekends sorting out 16 year olds that didnt turn in for work
      4) No online presence and has no idea where to start
      5) Has other commitments (suspect this is only a minor part of his reason for sale)

Based on those points alone I would say that business of his is really not worth all that much and it sounds like a huge amount of work to get going - great project! You'd really have to be truly invested in it emotionally and financially though I feel, OP.
      Yes, I think your posts and others have put it into perspective.

I'll still have a look though.

Probably better to buy my own plot and set it up myself. Don't know what the rules are on using agricultural land for horticultural purposes, especially wrt to a retail outlet. Probably a whole world of pain....

Comment

Working...
      X