• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The new commute

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Why have you built a small jacuzzi and a mirrored wall on your helipad (I realise you’ve dug up part of the H)
    A jacuzzi? I might live in Essex now but I'm not that ******* common...

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      How long will that take you to cycle?
      Looks long enough for a couple of gel packs.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Before anyone asks, the company didn't pay for the office.

It's bloody well paying for as much of the contents as possible though!

Comment

Could you put the trampoline in as a mode of transport to work?

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            Could you put the trampoline in as a mode of transport to work?
            Well I never thought of that...let me run that past my accountant.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
              Before anyone asks, the company didn't pay for the office.

It's bloody well paying for as much of the contents as possible though!
              Of course not. Your wife owns the office via an offshore company and you pay an extortionate amount of rent for it.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Well I never thought of that...let me run that past my accountant.
                It’s quite simple.
                Let’s say the trampoline cost you £1000, put it through your company and you get the VAT back, so there’s £200 in your pocket. Then you need to write it off over a 2 year period - the kids will be tired of it by then but you and the misses might have a bit of fun on it with the neighbours (you live in Essex, right?)
                £50 a month straight line depreciation over 2 years is £1200, but we were at £800, so you’ve made another £500 (inc VAT)
                You’ll also want a surveillance camera for the office, and if it happens to catch your nocturnal activities on the tramp, well you can sell the videos to one of those websites for discerning gentlemen. Of course those sales would be personal, not business so you may need to pay BIK on the cameras.

Comment

Just waiting for plastering next week, decorating, final fix and electrics.

Landscaping is finished next week (just some fencing, new gates, raised beds for veg garden, a little bit of paving and turf to lay), planting mid-October, should look awesome by next Summer.

Been planning this for years now...can't wait.
                  I like it, I looked at something similar with an extra bit for storage, getting close to 20k. That included electrics etc. How much did you pay?

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                    I like it, I looked at something similar with an extra bit for storage, getting close to 20k. That included electrics etc. How much did you pay?
                    Basic spec for this model cost was £12.5k but by the time I'd added on the plastering pack, extended decking and cedar cladding for the front and left side (kept it to the cheaper redwood cladding on the rear/right as they won't be visible from in the garden) it came to £14.5k all in.

That's including a £200 discount for visiting the showroom and they waived the £500 delivery and install fee (it's free within 100 miles of their factory and I was 101 miles away) and they also knocked £100 off as I'm supplying my own light (their LED panel doesn't support LightwaveRF switches and I wanted something I could remote control and automate so I'm trying IKEA's new lighting gear).

Internal electrics are included, my electrician is hooking up the power which is costing me £300 (considering he's having to upgrade the internal electrics and CU in the garage to run the power from there, I think that's pretty good). I had a friend help me run conduit and 4 lengths of CAT5e from my under-stairs patch panel to the building which is buried down the right hand border. Their install team ran it all internally for me, I'll wire it up myself when its finished.

It's a 3x3m Inspiration from Green Retreats:
                    https://www.greenretreats.co.uk/buildings/inspiration/
                    Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 28 September 2017, 16:32.

Comment

Working...
                    X