• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Blow me for €4 billion

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Examples of misspending included a Spanish recipient of regional development funds declaring costs twice and wrongly declaring VAT.
    I'd say that's clear as day fraud, not misspending!

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    For someone who's leaving you seem obsessed with the EU.
    Fook them, soon we'll be in the land of unicorns and fairies, no?
    Much better off than before?
    And your kids will have so many more opportunities?
    and the NHS will get 350 million extra per week and be the bestest system in the world.
    etc.etc.
    The UK currently pays into the EU budget - so until that ends, are we not allowed to scrutinise what and where it is spent? Or should the plebs just be happy to be alive after they pay taxes? lol

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    You can't say that with a straight face when your leader spent £10 billion on religious fundamentalists just to get a few extra votes.
    It's not like no other party has made ridiculous deals (albeit maybe not £cash£) - e.g. see: Lib Dems selling out

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Out by a factor of ten. The deal was £1bn
    But it's only brexiteers that get their numbers wrong, or so people claim?

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    That is why the UK needs to leave the EU, because afterwards they won't pay a penny into the budget.

Interestingly in a theoretical world where the UK would regularly pay huge amounts after grovelling for a deal where the PM is handed a pre-prepared written speech written by the EU commission they wouldn't be able to veto the budget anymore. However that is purely hypothetical.

Can't wait until we're 100% off the hook for all the EU banking bailouts - which is purely factual
    Originally posted by Old Greg
    I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
    ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
      The UK currently pays into the EU budget - so until that ends, are we not allowed to scrutinise what and where it is spent?
      Can't wait until we're 100% off the hook for all the EU banking bailouts - which is purely factual
      When will that be? 2019, 2021, 2025, 2050,...

Until the UK actually has a hard Brexit, we will still be tied to EU regulations, but as soon as we step away from the elected European Parliament, we will have little to no influence on how any decisions are made.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        When will that be? 2019, 2021, 2025, 2050,...

Until the UK actually has a hard Brexit, we will still be tied to EU regulations, but as soon as we step away from the elected European Parliament, we will have little to no influence on how any decisions are made.
        No idea, negotiations are currently taking place.

Do you normally expect the final agreement to be known in the middle of negotiations?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negotiation
        HTH
        ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

No idea, negotiations are currently taking place.

Do you normally expect the final agreement to be known in the middle of negotiations?

HTH
          Do you normally expect one side to go into negotiations without an idea of what they want or what they are prepared to negotiate on?

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            Or in other words "EU is 96.9% efficient", which I think is pretty good

I know a fair few organisations around the world who would be happy with those numbers, the NHS for one
            No thats misleading the facts. What they are saying is they can prove they wasted 4 billion the rest is just cloaks and daggers.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              Do you normally expect one side to go into negotiations without an idea of what they want or what they are prepared to negotiate on?

HTH
              Just because we the public haven't been told certain things - does not necessarily equate to those things being unknown to the negotiating sides, despite all the bluster.

The EU can't very well come out and say the UK are beasting us with their very good lawyers, just like
              The UK can't very well come out and say the EU have them over a barrel over issue x, y, z

Seriously, how exactly should we be negotiating? - like labour say, give unequivocal rights to all EU citizens, tell them everything we want up front and hand over all our 'cards' ?

David Davis knows he has to play hardball in order to try and get them to start parallel talks on both transition & future trade, without agreeing too much first. If he doesn't I don't believe that would be beneficial for the UK.

What do you think WTFH, specifically to my last point about parallel talks?
              ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                No thats misleading the facts. What they are saying is they can prove they wasted 4 billion the rest is just cloaks and daggers.
                Don't think HMRC would classify declaring costs twice as 'wastage' - or incorrectly declaring VAT
                ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Don't think HMRC would classify declaring costs twice as 'wastage' - or incorrectly declaring VAT
                  That would depend wether they are sat in a room with you or Vodafone ...

Comment

David Davis knows he has to play hardball in order to try and get them to start parallel talks on both transition & future trade, without agreeing too much first. If he doesn't I don't believe that would be beneficial for the UK.

What do you think WTFH, specifically to my last point about parallel talks?
                    David Davis’ own party can’t agree on what they want, and they are airing that in public. How can he play hardball if his party don’t have an agreement on a plan?

And then you say that he shouldn’t agree to “too much first”. If you actually want to get somewhere you need to agree to things, even if it is just frameworks, otherwise the “negotiations” will continue on for years or decades.

As for “parallel talks”, you’ve not done much negotiating have you?
                    “Group one - you talk exclusively about citizens rights”
                    “Group two - you talk exclusively about trade”
                    “Group three - you talk exclusively about the Irish border”
                    “Group four - you talk about international co-operation”

Each group then reports back that they can’t reach an agreement without linking it to the other groups.
                    Parallel demands work, but negotiating doesn’t.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                      That would depend whether they are sat in a room with you or Vodafone ...
                      Touche
                      ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Working...
                      X