• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Blow me for €4 billion

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bean View Post

Can't wait until we're 100% off the hook for all the EU banking bailouts - which is purely factual
    The UK bailed out Irish banks not because they had a legal obligation but because their own banks would have bankrupted the UK to kingdom come.

Switzerland bailed out the Euro to the tune of 51 billion CHF for similar reasons.

Of course once we've left the UK banks won't be affected by a Euro financial collapse.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      David Davis’ own party can’t agree on what they want, and they are airing that in public. How can he play hardball if his party don’t have an agreement on a plan?

And then you say that he shouldn’t agree to “too much first”. If you actually want to get somewhere you need to agree to things, even if it is just frameworks, otherwise the “negotiations” will continue on for years or decades.

As for “parallel talks”, you’ve not done much negotiating have you?
      “Group one - you talk exclusively about citizens rights”
      “Group two - you talk exclusively about trade”
      “Group three - you talk exclusively about the Irish border”
      “Group four - you talk about international co-operation”

Each group then reports back that they can’t reach an agreement without linking it to the other groups.
      Parallel demands work, but negotiating doesn’t.
      yes it appears so, but so are Labour (therefore regardless of party in power we'd be in the same situation)? No real mention of brexit in the conference? Momentum accused of false promises etc.... that being said, you can still play hardball if you buy into the WTO power play, 5 eyes as leverage etc

Not too much =/= nothing (yes I agree we should agree on the formula for working out the remainder of our agreed budgetary contributions) HTH

There's a few assumptions and constraints in there that force your point to be true, but what if, some groups don't exclusively talk about 1 item, what if some groups are merged - suddenly more things are possible, yes?

and no I like many, have not negotiated a lot, I would imagine an even smaller subsection of that number frequent these forums - have you done much negotiating of this type and scale?

Also, when you talk about agreeing what they want..... what exactly does the EU want regarding NI border - it appears as though they washed their hands and just said "no harder border but you come up with the alternative" - perhaps you could enlighten us all or point us in the right direction.......is it just the UK that needs to issue demands and hold positions in the negotiations or should the EU be constructively positing alternatives?

Edit: Looks like they have at least started now: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7972596.html
      Last edited by Bean; 29 September 2017, 10:48.
      Originally posted by Old Greg
      I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
      ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        The UK bailed out Irish banks not because they had a legal obligation but because their own banks would have bankrupted the UK to kingdom come.

Switzerland bailed out the Euro to the tune of 51 billion CHF for similar reasons.

Of course once we've left the UK banks won't be affected by a Euro financial collapse.

Bankrupted....Yes indeed, that ~£14 billion odd to the Irish banks was a really huge blow, compared to the ~£500 billion UK bank bailout package wasn't it, you complete melt

Again, see above point for comparison/reference

They may well be affected in ways, but they'll be IB ring-fenced and they won't have a God-given right to automatically receive UK taxayers' money
        Last edited by Bean; 29 September 2017, 10:27.
        ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Bankrupted....Yes indeed, that ~£14 billion odd to the Irish banks was a really huge blow, compared to the ~£500 billion UK bank bailout package wasn't it, you complete melt

Again, see above point for comparison/reference

They may well be affected in ways, but they'll be IB ring-fenced and they won't have a God-given right to automatically receive UK taxayers' money
          Absolutely the government will simply let them all go to the wall. The Brexiteers have really thought this through.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Absolutely the government will simply let them all go to the wall. The Brexiteers have really thought this through.

No comeback about Ireland bankrupting the UK, I wonder why?

No, the UK government could give them a commercial loan with the kind of interest they normally screw people with

but anyway, isn't this where you're meant to say the great and godly EU will never let that happen, that's exactly what the bailout fund is for, yadda yadda yadda - no, just more emoticons and irrelevant rubbish
            ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

No comeback about Ireland bankrupting the UK, I wonder why?

No, the UK government could give them a commercial loan with the kind of interest they normally screw people with

but anyway, isn't this where you're meant to say the great and godly EU will never let that happen, that's exactly what the bailout fund is for, yadda yadda yadda - no, just more emoticons and irrelevant rubbish
              mean while

... in the real world

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Lovely misdirection

Ok, look - seems that tough border issue has been sorted: Next!
                Brexit: European Parliament to propose Northern Ireland stays in single market | The Independent

(Ps WTFH - looks like the EU has finally started being constructive on this particular issue as I was stating they weren't earlier in the thread)
                ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Lovely misdirection

Brexit: European Parliament to propose Northern Ireland stays in single market | The Independent

(Ps WTFH - looks like the EU has finally started being constructive on this particular issue as I was stating they weren't earlier in the thread)
                  I would very much doubt that will be the answer to the NI/RoI thing.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                    I would very much doubt that will be the answer to the NI/RoI thing.
                    Neither do I, but at least it's a start of something vaguely sensible-ish.

Not all doom & gloom like some would wail though
                    ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Lovely misdirection

You're a bit thick,no? Try reading your own fucking links

"The resolution, set to be voted on hours before Theresa May’s make-or-break Tory conference speech, rubbishes Britain’s existing proposals on the issue and is set to enrage DUP MPs propping up Ms May’s Government."
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X