• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Catalonia

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Appalling repression by the Spanish police. Why should Catalans not be allowed to express their desires?

I am all for positive nationalism with people of common cultures being able to follow their own direction. An independent Catalonia, a Kurdish nation, Scotland, Corsica - good luck to them, as long as a) They don't expect the rest of us to prop them up and b) They don't discriminate against those of different backgrounds who live in the regions.
    It is appalling behaviour of the Spanish Government and it’s a reminder of Franco bombing Catalan in the Spanish Civil War.

There is much hypocrisy as governments remain silent.
    Had the same happened in Cuba, the US would be calling for sanctions.
    Had the same happened in Syria, the US and UK would bomb Damascus.
    Had the same happened in Ukraine, the US and UK would claim the protesters were Russian agents.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      The Spanish response will only further drive the want for independence.

Catalonia, UNlike Scotland, is a small rich state. The powers that be will do anything to hold on to them. Even if that means lying through their teeth.
      FTFY
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        If Catalonia were to somehow attain independence (which is no certainty as the the referendum has no legal standing - it's not even advisory), it would certainly be screwed over as it would be immediately out of the EU, at least demonstrating what a hard Brexit would be like. The powers that be might like that. Spain would be screwed over anyway, having lost a fairly major part of their economy.
        Luckily the EU will react strongly to this and keep the peace as it has for decades, pity Catalonia has no nukes otherwise the US would be interested..

Come on Drunker, Barmy & the Hoff... where are you when you are needed?

Comment

The religion of peace strikes again.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            FTFY
            thanks for making my point
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

No doubt EU will support Spain over Catalonia. In fact, I bet they could just throw democracy out of the window and enslave us all.

Thank f00k UK is leaving.

Comment

The Spanish government approach to oppression is odd given the scenario - it shows they expect to lose and the 'undecideds' wouldn't have swung it for them (of course, this is more of an opinion poll than a valid referendum). They will have helped massively the support for the independence movement in Catalonia.

I wonder if the fake news oppression during the UK EU referendum (the whole 'bring a pen and vote with that instead of the supplied pencil' thing) contributed to some of the Leave voters who would have voted remain, except they decided 'yeah, those governmental vote changing bastards. I'm now voting to leave and I'm using a pen...'.
                Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  No doubt Westminster will support London over Scotland. In fact, I bet they could just throw democracy out of the window and enslave us all..
                  FTFY
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

thanks for making my point
                    I am not the powers that be, but if you think I am that important then I am flattered!

Comment

FTFY
                      yeah because we didn't let you have a vote or your own devolved parliament and we use baton charges & rubber bullets to quell the dissenters.

Comment

Working...
                      X