• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Catalonia

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Catalonia

Getting exciting!

http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

The powers that be really, really don't want that to happen.

Fingers crossed :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
      The powers that be really, really don't want that to happen.

Fingers crossed :-)
      I bet they don't. Unlike with Brexit, they won't know who to screw over. Still, Juncker's wine merchant could be in for a bumper few months...
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

If Catalonia were to somehow attain independence (which is no certainty as the the referendum has no legal standing - it's not even advisory), it would certainly be screwed over as it would be immediately out of the EU, at least demonstrating what a hard Brexit would be like. The powers that be might like that. Spain would be screwed over anyway, having lost a fairly major part of their economy.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Catalonia

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          If Catalonia were to somehow attain independence (which is no certainty as the the referendum has no legal standing - it's not even advisory), it would certainly be screwed over as it would be immediately out of the EU, at least demonstrating what a hard Brexit would be like. The powers that be might like that. Spain would be screwed over anyway, having lost a fairly major part of their economy.
          An independent free and sovereign Catalonia is welcome to free trade with the UK.
          Last edited by PurpleGorilla; 30 September 2017, 08:43.

Comment

It's funny how some people think democracy is about choosing between things someone else has defined

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Comment

Appalling repression by the Spanish police. Why should Catalans not be allowed to express their desires?

I am all for positive nationalism with people of common cultures being able to follow their own direction. An independent Catalonia, a Kurdish nation, Scotland, Corsica - good luck to them, as long as a) They don't expect the rest of us to prop them up and b) They don't discriminate against those of different backgrounds who live in the regions.
                Last edited by xoggoth; 1 October 2017, 17:50.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Definitely going off the Spanish, Gibraltar, appalling brutality to animals and now this.

Going on holiday there in a few weeks. Or perhaps not, flights are booked with Monarch Airlines. Sod!
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

The Spanish response will only further drive the want for independence.

Catalonia, like Scotland, is a small rich state. The powers that be will do anything to hold on to them. Even if that means lying through their teeth.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X