• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ryanair need pilots + Monarch bust = No need to cancel Ryanair flights

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    I'm sure there will be many Monarch pilots qualified to fly Ryanair planes. Maybe not all of them, but surely some of them will?
    They wont be current on type. Need at least 3 landings and takeoffs in the past 90 days

https://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial-ind...ilot-licences/

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
      You already do.

My friend flies Airbus for BA. He told me that the only time they actually fly the plane is on the landings. The rest of the time it's on autopilot.
      I wish people wouldn't spout this nonsense, and I include pilots in that. For a start, there's no autopilot on take off and using the autopilot requires a high degree of knowledge. Commercial aircraft are nowhere near being pilot less through the flight.

It really does the industry no favours to let people assume pilots are just kicking back the whole flight.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
        I wish people wouldn't spout this nonsense, and I include pilots in that. For a start, there's no autopilot on take off and using the autopilot requires a high degree of knowledge. Commercial aircraft are nowhere near being pilot less through the flight.

It really does the industry no favours to let people assume pilots are just kicking back the whole flight.
        That's what he told me. I'll correct him with your advanced knowledge when we have coffee later this week.

From my understanding the job does not involve a lot of "flying" i.e. moving the craft, adjusting the speed and altitude ... but it does involve a lot of monitoring of the systems and forward planning for any unforeseen issues that arise.

Comment

That's what he told me. I'll correct him with your advanced knowledge when we have coffee later this week.

From my understanding the job does not involve a lot of "flying" i.e. moving the craft, adjusting the speed and altitude ... but it does involve a lot of monitoring of the systems and forward planning for any unforeseen issues that arise.
          Also you have to be careful not to crash into the servers in the cloud....

Comment

You're not correcting his knowledge - it's just people being modest and flippant. Like how I tell people that companies pay me hundreds of pounds a day to click some buttons and tell them what they're doing wrong; it's not meant to be entirely literal. There are people out there who literally believe the 'computer' can magically take the aircraft from A to B and the pilots just sit and keep an eye on it. And the amount of people who think all landings are automagic is astonishing.

Just tell him to stop being so modest and undermining the respect for his profession Because that's why dicks like O'Leary feel they can slag off pilots in public and say they have an easy job.
            Last edited by vwdan; 2 October 2017, 10:57.

Comment

You already do.

My friend flies Airbus for BA. He told me that the only time they actually fly the plane is on the landings. The rest of the time it's on autopilot.
              I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on such matters, but isn't the landing bit quite important in the whole 'flying' process.

Next time your bird offers you a blowie, tell her there's no skill involved apart from the bit at the end.
              When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on such matters, but isn't the landing bit quite important in the whole 'flying' process.
                Passengers certainly seem to be particularly partial to a landing without death and destruction.

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                  Next time your bird offers you a blowie, tell her there's no skill involved apart from the bit at the end.
                  What if your blowie operator is in fact a man?

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
                    What if your blowie operator is in fact a man?
                    Whatever tickles your pickle mate. We're not judging.
                    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
                      It's a great idea except Monarch only fly A320 and A321 planes and Ryanair exclusively use 737-800's. By the time all these Monarch pilots have got 737-800 type approval, the Ryanair pilots will be back at work.

HTH
                      Then why not use the Monarch planes? They'll be sitting idle until they get leased to someone else. It could be a bonus for the passengers, when I flew Monarch some years ago it was rather nice (compared to scum class in some other airlines, anyway) and although I've never flown Ryanair, wifey has, and she said it was crap.

Whadya think, genius or what?
                      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                      X