• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ryanair need pilots + Monarch bust = No need to cancel Ryanair flights

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The captain (left hand seat) does the taxi, rotate and climb to cruise. The FO (right hand seat) will take over from there.
    The autopilot keeps the plane stable and steady. It doesn’t automatically change the direction of the flight or change altitude/speed.
    To make those changes, the FO will dial them in to the autopilot, then execute them when they reach the waypoint.
    The captain will then perform the landing.

When all is going well and the aircraft is cruising, then it is “relatively” simple, the main jobs are monitoring the radio, the radar, the weather and all the instruments. When any one of those changes, then the FO/captain have to make decisions that can affect the lives of a lot of people.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I'd be more worried about Ryanair following Monarch if you have a flight booked with them.

Ryanair cancelling loads of flights because they screwed up pilot holidays is BS. Either the pilots are leaving in droves or they are in financial difficulty (for much the same reasons Monarch didn't survive) and cutting back the routes losing the most.
      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
        Then why not use the Monarch planes? They'll be sitting idle until they get leased to someone else. It could be a bonus for the passengers, when I flew Monarch some years ago it was rather nice (compared to scum class in some other airlines, anyway) and although I've never flown Ryanair, wifey has, and she said it was crap.

Whadya think, genius or what?
        Theoretically they could wet lease them, but that would not be at all cost effective.

The Ryanair model is based on the idea that a plane on the ground is wasting money. Fast turn around keep them in the air and earning money.
        If they have 20 planes on the ground and wet lease another 20 they are more than doubling the costs.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
          Then why not use the Monarch planes? They'll be sitting idle until they get leased to someone else. It could be a bonus for the passengers, when I flew Monarch some years ago it was rather nice (compared to scum class in some other airlines, anyway) and although I've never flown Ryanair, wifey has, and she said it was crap.

Whadya think, genius or what?
          Some Ryanair planes are new.

Also they would have to respray etc the Monarch planes after getting them off the adminstrators which will take some time.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Interestingly enough - RyanAir are the only airline I completely avoid always happy to pay more not to fly with them..

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
              Next time your bird offers you a blowie, tell her there's no skill involved apart from the bit at the end.
              Originally posted by mattfx View Post
              What if your blowie operator is in fact a man?
              Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
              Whatever tickles your pickle mate. We're not judging.
              And that vaguely shows the Airbus v Boeing thing. To the unobservant passenger there might not be much of a difference, but looking at the cockpit, there’s big differences in the layout and controls.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                You're not correcting his knowledge - it's just people being modest and flippant. Like how I tell people that companies pay me hundreds of pounds a day to click some buttons and tell them what they're doing wrong; it's not meant to be entirely literal. There are people out there who literally believe the 'computer' can magically take the aircraft from A to B and the pilots just sit and keep an eye on it. And the amount of people who think all landings are automagic is astonishing.

Just tell him to stop being so modest and undermining the respect for his profession Because that's why dicks like O'Leary feel they can slag off pilots in public and say they have an easy job.
                Will do.

I always avoid mentioning O'Leary though .... my friend is a very mild-mannered but one mention of Michael and he goe's off on a 30-minute rant.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  And that vaguely shows the Airbus v Boeing thing. To the unobservant passenger there might not be much of a difference, but looking at the cockpit, there’s big differences in the layout and controls.
                  Accelerate. Brake. Up. Down.

Simples....

Comment

Ryanair only fly Boeing 737-800’s

Monarch only flew one of those - the rest being Airbus a320 & a321’s.

Few pilots are both Boeing and Airbus type rated.
                    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                      Ryanair only fly Boeing 737-800’s

Monarch only flew one of those - the rest being Airbus a320 & a321’s.

Few pilots are both Boeing and Airbus type rated.
                      Hence my comment about wet leasing.

Comment

Working...
                      X