• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wimbledon station commuters flee train in 'Bible' panic

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wimbledon station commuters flee train in 'Bible' panic

Honestly this gave me a laugh. Southerns - what are they like?

Let's see what happens when I read some scripture allowed on my delayed Ryanair flight.

"And I stood upon the sand of the sea, and saw a beast rise up out of the sea, having seven heads and ten horns, and upon his horns ten crowns, and upon his heads the name of blasphemy. And the beast which I saw was like unto a leopard, and his feet were as the feet of a bear, and his mouth as the mouth of a lion: and the dragon gave him his power, and his seat, and great authority." (Rev 13:1-2)

Oh calm people it's only Michael O'Leary

Passengers forced open the doors on a busy rush-hour train and climbed on to tracks after becoming "panicked" in the carriage.

It happened outside Wimbledon station in south-west London at 08:30 BST as a man apparently began reading lines aloud from the Bible.

Commuters became scared when the man began quoting phrases such as, "death is not the end", a passenger said.

Rail power lines were cut as passengers "self-evacuated", police said.

Trains through the area were expected to remain disrupted until 13:00 BST.

Ian, who was on the train, said the man's Bible-reading led to a "commotion" and a "crush".

He said someone then asked the man to stop speaking "as he was scaring people" and "the guy stopped and stood there with his head down".

The train had been travelling between Shepperton and London Waterloo. British Transport Police (BTP) said no arrests had been made.

A Network Rail spokesperson said no passengers or train staff were injured but "significant delays" would continue on services in and out of Waterloo "for the rest of the morning".
    source: Wimbledon station commuters flee train in 'Bible' panic - BBC News
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

You know the Parsons Green "bomb"?

Well Wimbledon is on the same tube line.

It is also on the same train line the little tulip used to get to Wimbledon to get on the District line.

Some of those people due to life factors managed to miss the terror the first time round.

So yeah mock.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Honestly this gave me a laugh. Southerns - what are they like?
      Commuters became scared when the man began quoting phrases such as, "death is not the end", a passenger said.
      Was he saying anything like

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and good will shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord" ?

Comment

I was on that train. It just stopped in the middle of the track. The engines were cut and the air conditioning was turned off.

Information was not forthcoming as to why the train had been stopped. Then it slowly started trickling out that there could be a bomb. Then there was some more information that someone had forced the door and legged it.

Yeah hilarious.
        And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by Benny View Post
          Was he saying anything like

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and good will shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord" ?
          Save that one for the buses...
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            You know the Parsons Green "bomb"?

Well Wimbledon is on the same tube line.

It is also on the same train line the little tulip used to get to Wimbledon to get on the District line.

Some of those people due to life factors managed to miss the terror the first time round.

So yeah mock.

It wasn't a bomb. Yes I'll mock. More people are going to die as a result of being stupid.

This is bomb:

I've seen bigger flames on my uncle's pipe:

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
              I was on that train. It just stopped in the middle of the track. The engines were cut and the air conditioning was turned off.

Information was not forthcoming as to why the train had been stopped. Then it slowly started trickling out that there could be a bomb. Then there was some more information that someone had forced the door and legged it.

Yeah hilarious.
              What some one with PTSD?

My tubes and trains are normally delayed to some trespasser - normal a little tulip- on the line.

Though once my journey was delayed as some tulip threw car seats on the line and derailed a train.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

It wasn't a bomb. Yes I'll mock. More people are going to die as a result of being stupid.

This is bomb:

I've seen bigger flames on my uncle's pipe:

You do realise that had the tube bomb detonated as intended it would have killed many people?

After a weekend with terrorist violence in a number of countries around the world it really isn't strange that people are a bit nervous.

Perhaps you should just reel your neck in and keep your thoughts to yourself?
                England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  What some one with PTSD?

My tubes and trains are normally delayed to some trespasser - normal a little tulip- on the line.

Though once my journey was delayed as some tulip threw car seats on the line and derailed a train.
                  Dunno. They just said a bomb threat had been reported, and then someone had forced one of the doors and no one should leave the train as they could get electrocuted and would die.

I would hardly have called it fleeing in a panic though. I have mild claustrophobia (I don't like being in packed trains and tubes), and the train was rammed full. I could see how someone with bad claustrophobia or PTSD who had been sitting for 40 mins with no real information, a potential bomb threat, and no moving air could have panicked.

When the train did eventually pull into Earlsfield we were told the train opposite was heading to Waterloo and we should get on that instead, so the train emptied out.

Oh and ScooterScot, you're an odious cretin, and I hope your bollocks turn to cubes and fester on the corners.
                  And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Being in the wrong place at the wrong time is 'being stupid'?
                    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Working...
                    X