• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

(yet) Another tax on the way

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Only problem with this is the people that care will already recycle and those that do not will not care about the deposit as I assume it can only be a token thing (5p?)

So never really achieves the goal.
    This.

Our household vigorously recycle. Also we never trow trash on the street. We already used "bags for life" or reusable bags before the 5p charge.

Having a bunch of spare bags in the boot of the car or in the shopping trolley is not a hassle.

Having to store and wash all the plastic bottles and drag them to the store, then wast time returning them there is going to be a major hassle, not worth the 5p per bottle. So essentially a tax/surcharge call it whatever you want.

Also I thought the plastic bottles that go in the "regular" bin go to regulated dump sites, how on earth do they end up in the Ocean? I don't deny the fact that the ocean is full of plastic, but I always thought it's coming from 3rd world countries that don't care.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
      This.

Our household vigorously recycle. Also we never trow trash on the street. We already used "bags for life" or reusable bags before the 5p charge.

Having a bunch of spare bags in the boot of the car or in the shopping trolley is not a hassle.

Having to store and wash all the plastic bottles and drag them to the store, then wast time returning them there is going to be a major hassle, not worth the 5p per bottle. So essentially a tax/surcharge call it whatever you want.

Also I thought the plastic bottles that go in the "regular" bin go to regulated dump sites, how on earth do they end up in the Ocean? I don't deny the fact that the ocean is full of plastic, but I always thought it's coming from 3rd world countries that don't care.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaIJ65nz4e0
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

The lady at my lodgings is madly into recycling. No food to be thrown away in the kitchen bin (I think she said). So I've flushed some down the loo instead

Also there's a long line of assorted bins and boxes outside which are each supposed to be for different types of rubbish. But I'm damned if I can work out what goes where, as they're unlabelled and I often want to throw out a small bit of rubbish after my evening meal by which time it's dark and I can barely make out what if anything is already in the blasted things.

I honestly think she's, if possible, worse than the German recycling fanatic I had to contend with when contracting near Hamburg a few years ago, although her speciality was scattering the bins all round her property so finding the right one was like a kind of treasure hunt, and equally hard after dark when one's colour vision isn't at its best!

Frankly I'm tempted just to throw all my rubbish behind the hedge. But I'll be there for a few months yet, unless I move.

Why can't convicts sort out rubbish into different categories, in penal recycling centres, instead of us law-abiding citizens having to?
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

It's great when it works. But what happens when the machine is broken, or when it rejects the bottle? Am I expected to haul it back home and back to the store again for a retry? Sod that.

Just put the extra 5p in the final price and stop pretending it's "for the environment"

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            The lady at my lodgings is madly into recycling. No food to be thrown away in the kitchen bin (I think she said). So I've flushed some down the loo instead

Also there's a long line of assorted bins and boxes outside which are each supposed to be for different types of rubbish. But I'm damned if I can work out what goes where, as they're unlabelled and I often want to throw out a small bit of rubbish after my evening meal by which time it's dark and I can barely make out what if anything is already in the blasted things.

I honestly think she's, if possible, worse than the German recycling fanatic I had to contend with when contracting near Hamburg a few years ago, although her speciality was scattering the bins all round her property so finding the right one was like a kind of treasure hunt, and equally hard after dark when one's colour vision isn't at its best!

Frankly I'm tempted just to throw all my rubbish behind the hedge. But I'll be there for a few months yet, unless I move.

Why can't convicts sort out rubbish into different categories, in penal recycling centres, instead of us law-abiding citizens having to?
            Does she wash and reuse these (poss NSFW)

Crystal Flexible Silicone Reusable Condom
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
              It's great when it works. But what happens when the machine is broken, or when it rejects the bottle? Am I expected to haul it back home and back to the store again for a retry? Sod that.

Just put the extra 5p in the final price and stop pretending it's "for the environment"
              When I've been abroad - lived and worked - and used them they have always worked.

Thing is you just end up getting a few pence of your shopping.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                Does she wash and reuse these (poss NSFW)

Crystal Flexible Silicone Reusable Condom
                Original condoms where recyclable.

Remember watching some history program where they explained it.

linky
                Last edited by SueEllen; 3 October 2017, 15:50. Reason: added link
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

This sounds like an ideal employment opportunity for Brexiteers.

Comment

When I come to power, only the lucky ones will be doing that, trust me.
                    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                    X