• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

(yet) Another tax on the way

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I was a kid, we used to search for bottles to get the deposit back on them to supplement our pocket money.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Only problem with this is the people that care will already recycle and those that do not will not care about the deposit as I assume it can only be a token thing (5p?)

So never really achieves the goal.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
        Only problem with this is the people that care will already recycle and those that do not will not care about the deposit as I assume it can only be a token thing (5p?)

So never really achieves the goal.
        Although five pence charge for plastic bags did the trick. In fact it was probably one of the most simple fixes ever as the use of new plastic bags dropped by 85%.

While I'm thinking about it, given the number of plastic bottles on the railway tracks near my house you'd probably be able to retire if you cleaned the area. Cleaning up, bu cleaning up if you like.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
          Although five pence charge for plastic bags did the trick. In fact it was probably one of the most simple fixes ever as the use of new plastic bags dropped by 85%.

While I'm thinking about it, given the number of plastic bottles on the railway tracks near my house you'd probably be able to retire if you cleaned the area. Cleaning up, bu cleaning up if you like.
          Maybe so.... just wondering if 5p is enough for someone to get off their arse to do something (such as recycle a bottle) over saving 5p by taking your own bags to the supermarket.

But then I think I underestimate the thriftiness over laziness of some people!

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
            Maybe so.... just wondering if 5p is enough for someone to get off their arse to do something (such as recycle a bottle) over saving 5p by taking your own bags to the supermarket.

But then I think I underestimate the thriftiness over laziness of some people!
            I would probably get one of the kids to manage that and let them keep the % of the deposit defined in the winning tender.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              It works fine in NL. They use thicker plastic. At old client co the used bottles went back into the delivery crates.
              At the supermarkets you drop the bottles into a machine that gives you a receipt for the refund.

This. it works well, they also discount old bottles from home deliveries from the supermarkets.
              and it doesn't matter where you bought the bottles.

Comment

Wouldn't this become law if we stayed in the EU anyway?
                "Taking back control"
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                  This. it works well, they also discount old bottles from home deliveries from the supermarkets.
                  and it doesn't matter where you bought the bottles.
                  I forgot about that.
                  What I should have done was to fill the car boot with bottles from the UK.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

It'll give kids and homeless people a chance to earn a few bob collecting and returning plastic bottles.

But in this day and age I really don't see why manufacturers can't devise promptly biodegradable plastic bags and bottles. That would solve all the problems
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                      I forgot about that.
                      What I should have done was to fill the car boot with bottles from the UK.
                      i think they might have a problem with non-dutch empties.
                      you may be told to rot op.

Comment

Working...
                      X