• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax Avoidance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax Avoidance

"Those who apply to join Ryanair are told to set up an Irish limited company and are made directors of it, under the guidance of accountants recommended by the airline. That company then supplies pilots to one of several agencies, including Brookfield Aviation and McGinley Aviation, who in turn supply them to Ryanair.

The system limits Ryanair’s obligations to the pilots, such as sick pay – among the factors that allows the Dublin-based carrier to keep its costs low. But the use of Irish limited companies to employ pilots based in the UK has led to pilots with limited experience of the tax obligations of a limited company falling foul of its fraud investigators."

“When I started employment, I had to set up a limited company in Ireland with two other pilots who I knew from training and were employed by Ryanair at the same time. We had to go to Ireland, meet their accountant and set up a company.”

"A third pilot, who is under investigation for non-payment of taxes over five years, said HMRC told him tax on his earnings should have been paid in the UK, even though he was employed by an Irish limited company."

https://www.theguardian.com/business...on-airlines-uk

Oh FFS!

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    "Those who apply to join Ryanair are told to set up an Irish limited company and are made directors of it, under the guidance of accountants recommended by the airline. That company then supplies pilots to one of several agencies, including Brookfield Aviation and McGinley Aviation, who in turn supply them to Ryanair.

The system limits Ryanair’s obligations to the pilots, such as sick pay – among the factors that allows the Dublin-based carrier to keep its costs low. But the use of Irish limited companies to employ pilots based in the UK has led to pilots with limited experience of the tax obligations of a limited company falling foul of its fraud investigators."

“When I started employment, I had to set up a limited company in Ireland with two other pilots who I knew from training and were employed by Ryanair at the same time. We had to go to Ireland, meet their accountant and set up a company.”

"A third pilot, who is under investigation for non-payment of taxes over five years, said HMRC told him tax on his earnings should have been paid in the UK, even though he was employed by an Irish limited company."

https://www.theguardian.com/business...on-airlines-uk

Oh FFS!
    Shame "I didn't understand what I was doing and how it all works" isn't an acceptable defense. You'd think airline pilots would be able to understand LTD company finance and the accountants would be at least telling them what to pay to who and when.

Unless they all knew exactly what they were doing...
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
      Shame "I didn't understand what I was doing and how it all works" isn't an acceptable defense. You'd think airline pilots would be able to understand LTD company finance and the accountants would be at least telling them what to pay to who and when.

If they didn't, that's another very good reason to avoid Ryanair. One hopes a pilot knows what they're doing at all times.
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Pilots had not clue, I can believe that, but they are on the hook nevertheless, it clearly was dodgy from start.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Pilots had not clue, I can believe that, but they are on the hook nevertheless, it clearly was dodgy from start.
          Pretty much everything Ryanair do is "dodgy" to some extent. Allegedly...
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post

We had to go to Ireland, meet their accountant and set up a company.
            This makes me think that at least part of them had no clue. Also don't know why people expect that pilots are all knowing and intelligent beings that must understand how ltd. works. This doesn't look like the prestigious profession of yesteryear, they start on £22k.

Comment

The first rule of aviation is to avoid anything hard. Maybe they were just following their training?

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
                The first rule of aviation is to avoid anything hard. Maybe they were just following their training?
                Except when banging trolley dollies in exotic locations.
                "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                  This makes me think that at least part of them had no clue. Also don't know why people expect that pilots are all knowing and intelligent beings that must understand how ltd. works. This doesn't look like the prestigious profession of yesteryear, they start on £22k.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                    Shouldn't anyone who sets up and operates through a LTD know how it works?

Comment

Working...
                    X