• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best coffee maker

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Got fed up making my coffee in the traditional Italian way with a Bialetti as it's a bit of a faff in the morning.
    So bought a filter machine, not the cheapest one, which while it's less faff, only gives a weak brew for the same amount of coffee.
    What general coffee maker does the congregation recommend given that I don't want to be tied down to a manufacturers pods, don't want to grind beans, don't want a lot of poncing about?

Just a decent machine, cost no object, that takes any brand of coffee powder and gives decent brew.(Yes I know grinding beans is best etc etc).
    Can't you afford a barista?
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Nescafe gold blend and a kettle
      Me too but would quite like sensible suggestions to make a nice latte like you get in cafes.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Despite my rervations, Mrs Bloggs got a DeLonghi bean to cup machine. The first one failed quickly. But the replacement has beeb terrific. Didn't cost a fortune abd John Lewis do not argue about a failure, they just give you a new one. Presently happily drinking Machu Pichu beans on offer from Waitrose.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Got fed up making my coffee in the traditional Italian way with a Bialetti as it's a bit of a faff in the morning.
          So bought a filter machine, not the cheapest one, which while it's less faff, only gives a weak brew for the same amount of coffee.
          What general coffee maker does the congregation recommend given that I don't want to be tied down to a manufacturers pods, don't want to grind beans, don't want a lot of poncing about?

Just a decent machine, cost no object, that takes any brand of coffee powder and gives decent brew.(Yes I know grinding beans is best etc etc).
          Get a cheap one and put more coffee in. I know we aren't supposed to do "cheap", but it does mean you can buy any old filters etc and it doesn't matter if the jug thingy gets dropped, or the handle falls off, just go and buy another one. Typically <£20, and you'll get at least a couple of years out of it.
          The only reason to buy an expensive one is for the "badge" value when your friends come round, but then you don't have any friends...
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Can't you buy 3rd-party pods for the main brands anyway, avoiding being tied in to their own ones?
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

If I had a bigger kitchen, I’d have a:
              http://www.lapavoni.com/en/domestic-...ever-machines/
              Either a Europiccola or Milano.

Instead, I have one of these:
              https://www.kitchenaid.co.uk/p/small...3/859740515020
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

It's becoming apparent from the responses (thanks!) that i may have to go bean to cup after all. I refuse to do the proprietary pods system.
                That would be oK provided there's a timer facility - will look into that
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Can't you buy 3rd-party pods for the main brands anyway, avoiding being tied in to their own ones?
                  Dunno, don't think so...
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

A filter machine is not the only easy way to make coffee from grinds... you can equally buy an electric espresso machine and add hot water. Filter coffee and espresso are fundamentally different as I understand it... filter coffee and americano just taste different.

So you might try that Sas unless you already did this? I personally am happy with a US-style filter coffee pot with the classic hot-plate and jug, but it's not the same at all.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Best coffee machine is a tea spoon, used in conjunction with a bottle of Gold Blend.

All these gurgling bubbling dripping fancy filter machines are for pretentious pseu ... Ah, I see where you're coming from now. Obviously the tea spoon idea will be no good.
                      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                      X