• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best coffee maker

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    It's becoming apparent from the responses (thanks!) that i may have to go bean to cup after all. I refuse to do the proprietary pods system.
    That would be oK provided there's a timer facility - will look into that
    Bean to cup only works if you can store your beans properly to keep them fresh (or you drink so much that a pack of beans only lasts a couple of days)

I didn’t want a pod system for ages, preferring a moka pot on the cooker or a cafetière, but with a pod you can make a great coffee in a few minutes with little effort and little tidying up to do afterwards. Fresh, tasty coffee quickly.
    I’ve tried different flavours and have settled on three different ones. My wife likes decaf and she has two different flavours.
    Every so often we try others, but you only need to buy a pack of 10 to see if you like them.
    3rd party pods are also out there, so you can reduce your cost from 30p a cup to 25p if you want. It’s still less than a can of coke.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Dunno, don't think so...
      You can buy them but pods are just wrong. Bean to cup is super easy because you just press a button in the morning without loading it first. You have to be pretty fussy to worry about your beans being in the container for a few days.

Having said all that, I received one of these as a gift many years ago and it works perfectly well and is still going strong. I might upgrade one day, but will continue to use it as long as it works. If I'm going to be in a hurry in the morning, I fill it up the night before.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        Best coffee machine is a tea spoon, used in conjunction with a bottle of Gold Blend.

All these gurgling bubbling dripping fancy filter machines are for pretentious pseu ... Ah, I see where you're coming from now. Obviously the tea spoon idea will be no good.
        Or could it be that you've put up with piss-poor and piss-like coffee for years because you're an ignorant twat?
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Or could it be that you've put up with piss-poor and piss-like coffee for years because you're an ignorant twat?
          Instant is grim. I'm not too fussy - cafetiere (moka or French press) or espresso will do - have equipment of all of these at home, but I do draw the line an instant. Life is too short.

Comment

I have a, French press thing, and an Italian thing where I have to put the water in the bottom and the coffee at the top of a funnel and then whack it on the gas and the pressure of the water boiling makes the coffee

and then... brother-in-law bought me a nespresso thing with capsules a couple of years ago

so all three are fine and the Italian thing where you have to do all the kafuffle with the water and the coffee is the most fun and makes the most authentic noises

brother's got a built in Miele machine

Milan.

Comment

I've got one of these things and it's great. But it's a pain to clean sometimes.

I go through phases of using it constantly then having instant. But it's lovely to setup in the evening and put the timer on then wake up to freshly made coffee.

Oh I've never done it but I think you can use filter coffee with this and not grind the beans, if that's the thing for you.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00155PU..._t1_B002P3KCKI
              Last edited by woohoo; 4 October 2017, 11:01.

Comment

my mother in law and my wife's aunty have both got the old fashioned filter machine an I gotta say they makes an excellent brew

Milan.

Comment

Whilst on holiday in Cape Cod, Mass me and the wife got hooked on the hotels own filter brew, with a bit of half & half it was lovely. So now the lattes have gone out the window and we are drinking filter everywhere. One posh place in Brum wouldn't let me have their Ethiopian blend because I wanted to add cream/milk to it. Ohh get them!

Anywho, where does a cafetiere come into it? I'm thinking you either have one of these or you get a filter/percolator system?

I did like the look of that Cusinart Grind and Brew machine, be nice to walk up to smell of fresh cup of joe.

Liking the reviews for this one...

qh
                  Last edited by quackhandle; 4 October 2017, 11:20.
                  He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
                    One posh place in Brum

does not compute

Milan

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                      does not compute

Milan
                      You would be surprised how the city has changed, Milan. Even the kebab shop underneath AtW's pad has installed a Nespresso machine.

Comment

Working...
                      X