• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Catch 22

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://youtu.be/8LazrN57iZg

I didn't like the book. It's supposed to be a bit absurd and nonsensical because war is (according to the author) absurd and nonsensical. But I just found it dull.

Not much happens - you are supposed to just absorb the individual moments, a bit like the movie 'Lost in translation' - although I liked that movie.
    Last edited by SpontaneousOrder; 10 October 2017, 16:27.

Comment

That reminds me, shall I give Atlas Shrugged another try?

Speaking of dull and turgid, I mean.
      My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post

Isn't that another one of the "greatest novels of the 20th century"?

Why is it that any book with that epithet is such hard work?

I read 100 Years of Solitude & it was like having me teeth pulled. Anyone read any Kafka? Apparently he was the inspiration. Magical realism, or something....

Edit: It appears that Magical Realism is an almost exclusively Latin American movement (Garcia Marquez, Allende etc) that drew from Kafka. Kafka himself predated that movement.
        Last edited by Pip in a Poke; 10 October 2017, 14:58.

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post

Just pretend you read it like you did the first time.

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
            Isn't that another one of the "greatest novels of the 20th century"?

Why is it that any book with that epithet is such hard work?

I read 100 Years of Solitude & it was like having me teeth pulled. Anyone read any Kafka? Apparently he was the inspiration. Magical realism, or something....

Edit: It appears that Magical Realism is an almost exclusively Latin American movement (Garcia Marquez, Allende etc) that drew from Kafka. Kafka himself predated that movement.
            Atlas Shrugged is an easy read - it's just long. But I liked it, so it being long was good.

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
              Anyone read any Kafka?
              Yes
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Must get around to Catcher in the Rye at some point. Most American classics are dull (read John Irvine tho' as both 'World according to Garp' and 'Hotel New Hampshire' are OK). Try reading some Sci-Fi classics (Time Machine is excellent, War of the worlds likewise). PKD short stories were collected a few years back and are also excellent).

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
                  PKD short stories were collected a few years back and are also excellent).
                  Despite being a fan of sci-fi (TV and movies rather than books) I'm finding the Electric Dreams TV series interpretations rather dull and coming across as incomplete. Not a patch on the Broken Mirror series.
                  Last edited by Hobosapien; 11 October 2017, 11:46. Reason: I did of course mean Black Mirror.
                  Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
                    Must get around to Catcher in the Rye at some point. Most American classics are dull (read John Irvine tho' as both 'World according to Garp' and 'Hotel New Hampshire' are OK). Try reading some Sci-Fi classics (Time Machine is excellent, War of the worlds likewise). PKD short stories were collected a few years back and are also excellent).
                    Loved Huckleberry Finn. Definitely not dull. Also the Updike Rabbit books are a great read.

Recently read The Great Gatsby & found that incredibly dull. Dull in the sense you know exactly how the story's going to pan out when you're only a few pages in...

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
                      Just pretend you read it like you did the first time.
                      Your memory is playing tricks. Hey, since then I made it through the 60 leaden pages of muddled metaphysics that is 'Galt's Speech' - which I understand is meant to be a pithy encapsulation of Rand's pseudophilosophy,

The only proper purpose of a government is to protect a man's rights which means: to protect him from physical violence. A proper government is only a policeman, acting as an agent of man's self-defense, and, as such, may resort to force only against those who start the use of force. The only proper functions of a government are: the police, to protect you from criminals; the army, to protect you from foreign invaders; and the courts, to protect your property and contract from breach or fraud, to settle disputes by rational rules, according to objective law
                      Bad luck on the disabled, poor, uneducated or sick. And indeed bad luck on Ms Rand herself, who fell back on the despised state for five figures worth of Medicaid when her lifetime of smoking took its toll.

Meh.
                      Last edited by pjclarke; 11 October 2017, 10:31.
                      My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Working...
                      X