• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would you rather work closer to home for 30% less money than staying away from home?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    Depends on your individual circumstances, surely.

If you have a good reason to be at home during the week (family/commitments/hobbies blah blah) and can afford the slightly lower rate then so be it.

If you're single and need the extra cash, and would enjoy discovering London, then come down South. You can get a house-share within a 20 minute commute for £600/month.

Also consider that a 15% difference will be that bit less after tax.
    ....and this is the problem ChimpMaster. Being in my late 30's, I have not had to share with strangers since being at Uni which won't help towards driving costs down but the prospect of sharing a bathroom or sofa with some complete random? Yikes!!

Comment

It’s your call, but it’s not a 30% difference. One is 15% less, the other is 30% less.
      If you chose to do the london gig, look at something like AirBnB.
      If it was me, I’d take the local gig. London isn’t cheap.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Neither. I would work from home and command the maximum rate.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Tractor Trace View Post
          ....and this is the problem ChimpMaster. Being in my late 30's, I have not had to share with strangers since being at Uni which won't help towards driving costs down but the prospect of sharing a bathroom or sofa with some complete random? Yikes!!
          You don't have to be in the bath at the same time as your housemates

Comment

I live in London having gotten fed up of commuting from the south coast. Stay up north and leave the local jobs for local people

In all seriousness, it is digustingly expensive here and I wouldn't commute in anymore. I love living here because I'm in my 40's, no kids, OH lives in Scotland, I can afford a nice flat in a nice part of town (rented btw, I'm not that well off), and have local friends to complain with over a bottle of wine. It takes getting used to - I gave myself 18 months - two years to settle in as I wanted to make it my home. If you're here just for work, it's not going to be a fun experience. Before I moved, I commuted and rented a Monday-Friday flat near Greenwich. Close to work, nice place, nice location. However, it wasn't home. Evenings were a bit dull and options were limited.

It's not just a finanical decision. It's also a lifestyle one. What will be the impact on your family life if you're away half the week? Being at home with your family may be more important than an extra few quid a week.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              Neither. I would work from home and command the maximum rate.
              your usual helpful stuff, you pompous TWAT

Comment

Originally posted by Tractor Trace View Post
                I'm based in Manchester and have the offer of 2 gigs: One in London, which would mean with accommodation/food/travel leaves me with a day rate of 15% less than what I would normally work for (that's staying away for 3 days of the week, 2 at home). The other is in Liverpool, 30% less than my usual going rate, would be about a 45 mile commute each way by car but would hope not to have to stay away from home. With my warchest literally being depleted I need to take one or the other but not having worked in London before I'm unsure of whether it will be worth the extra money. Both gigs are pretty equal in terms of work and in length. Would I be a fool to take the low payer?
                Stay in the NW, unless the contract is in Birkenhead, depressing place.

Comment

If the war chest is down take the role that allows you the certainty to save money fast. I worked in Holborn on my last gig. There are far too many places to spend too much cash.

Comment

i'd stay close to home, EVERYTHING in london is more expensive, especially if you don't live here.
                    even the little things.
                    plus your quality of life will be better getting home every night.

Comment

I'm not so sure about all the 'stay in the NW' comments. After working away from home very happily for 2.5 years I'd say give it a go at some point. You only know if it's for you once you are there and have tailored it to suit you. Very difficult to actually see how it's going to work before actually trying it. There isn't that much in the NW if you want end to end gigs and a commute like that can be very wearing indeed. You are home but constantly knackered so why not try be away and just make sure you have quality time at the weekends. Once you've done one stint you will know if it is or isn't for you. If it is you've got a massive string in your bow for end to end gigs for the future. Plenty more opportunities available and the option to turn down gigs that you didn't have before.

That said.. I wouldn't do London or further south personally. I want to be back at a reasonable time Friday and not lose most of Sunday... And it's highly dependant on your family life and the gig itself. My other half is a teacher and the kids are late teens so being away didn't impact weekday life as much as most and if the gig isn't flexible it's gonna be tough from the off.

Don't write it off but think carefully about how it would work for your situation.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X