• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would you rather work closer to home for 30% less money than staying away from home?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're single then why not? For me with wife, young kids etc I only work away if there is nothing else. I wouldn't do it out of choice for 3x the rate. Only time I ever came close was for gig 2 days in london, 3 days wfh so just one night a week away. But even then with the one night accom and train fare it didnt work out too well.

I've been lucky. In 20 years contracting, never had a gig where I couldn't come home every night. One or two a fair distance away where I've stayed over occasionally but nothing that far.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Done both from Stockport, stay in the NW.
      45 mile commute each way
      If you do the Liverpool one make sure you get on the M56 early

Comment

There's less fumes in the north. Can't put a price on that.

Government 'failed to clean up air' - BBC News
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Tractor Trace View Post
          I'm based in Manchester and have the offer of 2 gigs: One in London, which would mean with accommodation/food/travel leaves me with a day rate of 15% less than what I would normally work for (that's staying away for 3 days of the week, 2 at home). The other is in Liverpool, 30% less than my usual going rate, would be about a 45 mile commute each way by car but would hope not to have to stay away from home. With my warchest literally being depleted I need to take one or the other but not having worked in London before I'm unsure of whether it will be worth the extra money. Both gigs are pretty equal in terms of work and in length. Would I be a fool to take the low payer?
          Stay in NW and build a network locally for ongoing work.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
            Stay in NW and build a network locally for ongoing work.
            And spend a fortune on new wheels.

On the upside you'll have enough bricks for to build an extension by the end of the gig.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              And spend a fortune on new wheels.

On the upside you'll have enough bricks for to build an extension by the end of the gig.
              As long as he's not competing with you noshing Turkish sailors at Seaforth Dock, I'm not too worried.

Comment

As long as he's not competing with you noshing Turkish sailors at Seaforth Dock, I'm not too worried.
                They tell me 6 times a day to go find the golden rivet. I've still not found the bugger!
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  They tell me 6 times a day to go find the golden rivet. I've still not found the bugger!
                  They're hinting you need knee implants.

Comment

Your knowledge of the seedier parts of the Liverpool docks is impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                      Your knowledge of the seedier parts of the Liverpool docks is impressive.
                      See sig.

Comment

Working...
                      X