• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would you rather work closer to home for 30% less money than staying away from home?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    depends on your quality of life at home doesn't it

Milan.
    its great at your house when you stay away apparently
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

You get more money and you get to WFH 2 days... seems a no-brainer to me. If it was 5 days in London that's a different story but this seems a great option to me.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I've been checking out airbnbs (not sharing) against staying in hotels. The crafty thing is that they seem a cheaper option until cleaning and service fees are added. I'm thinking for the sake of a couple of nights a week I might as well stay in a hotel...and hope the restaurant food is OK! Has anyone tried any of these businesses online which look for and organise accommodation for contractors e.g Contractor Accommodation Services (CAS)? They say they don't charge a fee but surely you don't get anything for nothing, right? ??

Comment

My methodology is spending a weekend before starting a new gig, viewing a few rooms from spareroom.co.uk - 80% on average I'd be happy to stay in. It's a £600-800 loss if it goes tits up but that's merely the cost of doing business.

Being away from your partner can be a good thing, personally I've got used to having my own space during the week, having free time to tinker etc. (way more fulfilling than cooking and watching tulipe on the TV every night)

Being a Northerner myself, nothing compares to London IMO - I strongly recommend you try it atleast once.

Does the company in Holborn start with S and end in "ainsburys"?

Comment

Short-term or long-term gig?

If working in London with accommodation, food, flight tickets...etc.
            (Assuming that you are planning to commute by plain) will be more than 30% less, no, unless it's a short-term gig and gives you the possibility to increase your connections there and planning to have more gigs in London...and If you like London.

If you want to continue to increase your business connections around your area, I would choose Liverpool.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
              Short-term or long-term gig?

If working in London with accommodation, food, flight tickets...etc.
              (Assuming that you are planning to commute by plain) will be more than 30% less, no, unless it's a short-term gig and gives you the possibility to increase your connections there and planning to have more gigs in London...and If you like London.

If you want to continue to increase your business connections around your area, I would choose Liverpool.
              Why would the OP commute by plane when they can get advanced train tickets from around £10?
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Hi - I have tried CAS - they have a couple of options around Golders Green, nice area for £50 a night. One fairly pleasant, the other not so. I found a much better deal with a couple of Best Westerns for around £50 a night, much nicer - one in Croydon opposite the hospital for just £50 with a kithen and aircon. The area was no go zombie land at nights though.

Top tip for anyone ex service including TA - provided you have two years service you can use the military hotels. I am a member of both Union Jack and Victory Services Clubs for around £20 a year. I can get rooms for around £40 a night, lovely restaurants for meal and drink for a tenner and beer for £2.50. Well worth registering for.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Why would the OP commute by plane when they can get advanced train tickets from around £10?
                  Advanced train tickets for £10! Seriously? How far in advance? A quick check on prices and the cheapest returns from Manchester to London 2 weeks in advance were around £200. Prices dropped a bit off peak but I'm not sure the client would be happy with me pitching up at 12pm on Monday and leaving at 2pm on a Thursday.....would they...?

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
                    Hi - I have tried CAS - they have a couple of options around Golders Green, nice area for £50 a night. One fairly pleasant, the other not so. I found a much better deal with a couple of Best Westerns for around £50 a night, much nicer - one in Croydon opposite the hospital for just £50 with a kithen and aircon. The area was no go zombie land at nights though.

Top tip for anyone ex service including TA - provided you have two years service you can use the military hotels. I am a member of both Union Jack and Victory Services Clubs for around £20 a year. I can get rooms for around £40 a night, lovely restaurants for meal and drink for a tenner and beer for £2.50. Well worth registering for.
                    Will check CAS out - sounds like a good option. As long as they're not too far from client site to travel in to. I'm a London virgin so the less travel time between spots the better

Comment

Originally posted by Tractor Trace View Post
                      Advanced train tickets for £10! Seriously? How far in advance? A quick check on prices and the cheapest returns from Manchester to London 2 weeks in advance were around £200. Prices dropped a bit off peak but I'm not sure the client would be happy with me pitching up at 12pm on Monday and leaving at 2pm on a Thursday.....would they...?
                      You need to talk to your client about starting and leaving times once you show you aren't a bellend. Lots of clients are now flexible if you make up hours in the week either at on their site (preferable to them) or at home. That could mean doing short days on the day you travel down, doing longer days on the days you are in London, and starting early but doing a shorter day on the day to leave.

Anyway Virgin releases batches of tickets for the coming months every few months. You are looking at booking a minimum of 6 weeks ahead. If you are a regular traveller you just sign up for their marketing stuff and you will get the emails of when they release the tickets.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X