• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would you rather work closer to home for 30% less money than staying away from home?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you rather work closer to home for 30% less money than staying away from home?

I'm based in Manchester and have the offer of 2 gigs: One in London, which would mean with accommodation/food/travel leaves me with a day rate of 15% less than what I would normally work for (that's staying away for 3 days of the week, 2 at home). The other is in Liverpool, 30% less than my usual going rate, would be about a 45 mile commute each way by car but would hope not to have to stay away from home. With my warchest literally being depleted I need to take one or the other but not having worked in London before I'm unsure of whether it will be worth the extra money. Both gigs are pretty equal in terms of work and in length. Would I be a fool to take the low payer?

Stay up in the NW.

Unless you know your way around London you will take a few months to work out how to get the cheapest accommodation and the cheapest way of getting to your accommodation to your client's office as it may work out you have to travel about 30 minutes each way. It does really depend on where the client is in London though.

BTW don't post this kind of stuff in General post it in Business/Contracts
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

depends on your quality of life at home doesn't it

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Stay up in the NW.

Unless you know your way around London you will take a few months to work out how to get the cheapest accommodation and the cheapest way of getting to your accommodation to your client's office as it may work out you have to travel about 30 minutes each way. It does really depend on where the client is in London though.
        Client base is near Chancery Lane, Holborn. Not the cheapest....

Comment

If you are getting 2 days WFH then you might find London being a better option than having 5 days working with scoucers!
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Depends on your individual circumstances, surely.

If you have a good reason to be at home during the week (family/commitments/hobbies blah blah) and can afford the slightly lower rate then so be it.

If you're single and need the extra cash, and would enjoy discovering London, then come down South. You can get a house-share within a 20 minute commute for £600/month.

Also consider that a 15% difference will be that bit less after tax.

Comment

Originally posted by Tractor Trace View Post
              Client base is near Chancery Lane, Holborn. Not the cheapest....
              That's why I mentioned you would probably end up doing at least a 30 minute commute to and from your accommodation, plus your weekly commutes.

If you are young and you want to experience London then go for it as you will have fun and won't mind the crowds.

If you mid-30s+ then don't bother. You will have more enjoyment working in another European city.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Tractor Trace View Post
                One in London, which would mean with accommodation/food/travel leaves me with a day rate of 15% less than what I would normally work for ~snip~ The other is in Liverpool, 30% less than my usual going rate
                So the difference between the "near" and "far away" gig is not 30%

As with any other similar question the correct answer ultimately boils down to: It's all relative and you are the only persona able to correctly assess the situation.

As a family man I would never accept "away" gig unless it's a short term extraordinary good rate (50%+) that would allow me to take a couple of months off and and still be better off. Then I live in London so hardly have to make such decisions.

Comment

Stay in Liverpool, by working in London you end up with an extra 8 hour round trip, i.e. you will do a full days work and then have to travel down to London and the same on the way back. One week at home one week in London would be better.
                  Last edited by BlasterBates; 5 October 2017, 10:25.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Which gives you more money at the end of the week. That 15% difference isn't going to go there far with 2 nights in London and a train fare....
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X