• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Motorway driving explained

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    Whereas in Dublin, undertaking is compulsory, along with running red lights and blocking trams by stopping in yellow boxes.
    Wasnt it only recently that learners could drive unaccompanied?

And up until 1968 you just bought your driving licence from An Post, no test required.

Comment

If someone does this to me I take even longer to pull over....
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        Wasnt it only recently that learners could drive unaccompanied?

And up until 1968 you just bought your driving licence from An Post, no test required.
        A friend of mine was driving unaccompanied on a provisional licence recently. She saw a Garda checkpoint up ahead and did a swift U turn. The Garda car went after her, stopped her, bollocked her, told her her not to do it again and let her off.

It's incredible, the amount of cars you see on the motorway with only one headlight.

Did you buy your motor in the end?

Comment

A friend of mine was driving unaccompanied on a provisional licence recently. She saw a Garda checkpoint up ahead and did a swift U turn. The Garda car went after her, stopped her, bollocked her, told her her not to do it again and let her off.

It's incredible, the amount of cars you see on the motorway with only one headlight.

Did you buy your motor in the end?
          I think i did!

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            If it's any compensation I do the same to Audi drives in my Porsche.
            and I tailgate chavvy Porsche drivers in my Jag, until it dawns on the slow witted feckers that they should make way for their betters
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              and I tailgate chavvy Porsche drivers in my Jag, until it dawns on the slow witted feckers that they should make way for their betters
              You chauffeuring now for Dodgy?

Comment

I'd love to know where you guys drive that you can get over an average of 40 mph to do all these fast intimidating manouevres.
                That seems to be the average speed on the M25 these days - and has been for some years.
                I agree you can sometimes get up to 80 mph in the fast lane - but almost any car can do that nowadays.
                Which is why I buy cars for comfort and not speed.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                  And I do it to everyone in my Bentley.

IMVHO The best way to make progress on the Motorway it's to have a car that looks big and scary when it's coming up fast behind you. Makes a real difference.
                  ^ this

Although you could argue the secret is owning a car rare enough to make the driver in front want to pull out the way just to see what your toy can do. There is a rather lucky sod in Bristol that has a Mclaren P1 I wasn't exactly standing still when it came past me on the M4 so christ knows what speed she was doing.

Its all going to be pointless when they have finally ruined all the motorways with average speed checks.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                    ^ this

Although you could argue the secret is owning a car rare enough to make the driver in front want to pull out the way just to see what your toy can do. There is a rather lucky sod in Bristol that has a Mclaren P1 I wasn't exactly standing still when it came past me on the M4 so christ knows what speed she was doing.

Its all going to be pointless when they have finally ruined all the motorways with average speed checks.
                    If they don't clock you coming into and out of service stations, you just stop for a pot of tea or coffee and get a bit of billable work or business development done. Then off you go again. If that's your thing.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                      I'd love to know where you guys drive that you can get over an average of 40 mph to do all these fast intimidating manouevres.
                      That seems to be the average speed on the M25 these days - and has been for some years.
                      I agree you can sometimes get up to 80 mph in the fast lane - but almost any car can do that nowadays.
                      Which is why I buy cars for comfort and not speed.
                      Well if you live outside of the M25 carpark there are actually massive long stretches of empty motorway that can be quite enjoyed. Like the bit near the Aston Martin junction for Gaydon
                      No test driving going on there at all

If they don't clock you coming into and out of service stations, you just stop for a pot of tea or coffee and get a bit of billable work or business development done. Then off you go again. If that's your thing.
                      Unfortunately the M4 has actually started to be policed much to my dismay. I can remember the good old days when it was more or less empty at my end. I was waved at to slow down by a passing Police Cruiser It was a fair point as I was doing way over the limit and they were probably off for tea. No points just a wave as the belted past at even more of a chug than me.

Would never drive that fast now even with my outgoing toy

Comment

Working...
                      X