• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Motorway driving explained

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motorway driving explained

Audi driver entitled to tailgate and flash his lights at you because he is superior to you in every way

These findings sadly confirm what we’ve always known deep down – that our motorways are essentially a Darwinian battle for survival and if someone is driving a faster car than you then you must submit to their superiority.

If it's any compensation I do the same to Audi drives in my Porsche.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      if someone is driving a faster car than you then you must submit to their superiority.

if the car behind you wants to go faster let them through,

it ain't rocket science is it

MilanBenes.
      Last edited by milanbenes; 6 October 2017, 07:52.

Comment

There is a thing called lane discipline, and it's instruction should be mandatory. Your license doesn't last long in Germany if you don't follow the rules.

Comment

quite

Milan.
          Last edited by milanbenes; 6 October 2017, 07:50.

Comment

With the rise of dash cams it's only a matter of time before all cars come with front and aft cams built in, and the feed monitored by the authorities via AI to automatically send out fines for those breaking the rules.

So yes you can tailgate, lane hog, speed, and drive like a numpty, at a price. The more dangerous ones will be summonsed for larger fines, bans, and porridge.

No need to traffic fuzz to enforce it, it will start with the 'smart motorway' cameras.

The unintended consequence being those able to afford fast cars can abuse the rules as they can afford the fines (which won't have points associated as it's a better money spinner to keep minor infringers on the road), so the outside lane really will become the fast lane.
            Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
              With the rise of dash cams it's only a matter of time before all cars come with front and aft cams built in, and the feed monitored by the authorities via AI to automatically send out fines for those breaking the rules.

So yes you can tailgate, lane hog, speed, and drive like a numpty, at a price. The more dangerous ones will be summonsed for larger fines, bans, and porridge.

No need to traffic fuzz to enforce it, it will start with the 'smart motorway' cameras.

The unintended consequence being those able to afford fast cars can abuse the rules as they can afford the fines (which won't have points associated as it's a better money spinner to keep minor infringers on the road), so the outside lane really will become the fast lane.

agreed, the days of fast luxury motorway travel are numbered

and we'll simply have to have safe luxury motorway travel instead

you are right it won't be long before they are an built in option on new cars

Milan.

Comment

MWays are the safest roads by a long chalk. If only people used them properly, starting as I say with lane discipline.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                  this is the problem with the people with smaller engine cars, look, it's not about power or superiority, so there's no need for an kind of social or personality complex,

if the car behind you wants to go faster let them through,

it ain't rocket science is it

if smaller engine car drivers cannot behave like gentlemen and allow cars wishing to go faster to proceed, then the faster cars have no option than to educate the slower cars in how to behave like gentlemen

Milan Q7 Benes.
                  It's gentlemanly to maintain a safe separation, and wait until the car in front has completed his overtaking manoeuvre. I'm not going to get out of the way any more quickly.

In my experience, there's plenty of impatient drivers with smaller, less powerful cars as well as lane hoggers with large powerful cars. I think we can all agree that for the most parts, all other road users are idiots.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    It's gentlemanly to maintain a safe separation, and wait until the car in front has completed his overtaking manoeuvre. I'm not going to get out of the way any more quickly.

In my experience, there's plenty of impatient drivers with smaller, less powerful cars as well as lane hoggers with large powerful cars. I think we can all agree that for the most parts, all other road users are idiots.
                    Good morning NAT

I don't mind people overtaking, for however long it takes, it's the people who are sat in the outside lane, with ample space in the lane next to them, and stay there and don't move over

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                    X