• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A croak too far

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    Tony Blair is one of the few who got out in time. He was never really broken at the end, just a crazy.
    Was he really ?

We have one less mad man with nuclear weapons. I think that's a good thing and I was against the war at the time. Sure he didn't have any weapons when they invaded but then N.Korea didn't either.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
      Tony Blair has made a small fortune. Cameroooon is writing his book in his "office" in his garden, it's not static so he can claim it back.

Brown was a bit strange before pm, what's the other one called, sorted out Northern Ireland, he seems happy.
      Brown was an academic last time I checked. Major (who sorted out NI) is happy pottering around and indulging his love of cricket. Thatcher is long dead.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Tony Blair is one of the few who got out in time. He was never really broken at the end, just a crazy.
        Suddenly finding faith equals going mad.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Worth a read, from someone who's been on the inside: Going To The Mattresses: the art of surviving a coup

Britain’s modern party leaders are not ousted by stalking horses; they are dragged from their beds in the dead of night, and shot in the courtyard with a Sky News helicopter overhead.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            Was he really ?

We have one less mad man with nuclear weapons. I think that's a good thing and I was against the war at the time. Sure he didn't have any weapons when they invaded but then N.Korea didn't either.
            Tony Blair to Mediate in Catalunya Crisis

Comment

Was he really ?

Are you talking about Iraq wrt Nukes? Why?

BBC NEWS | Politics | Timeline: The 45-minute claim

Also,
              A bad man with weapons removed from power = normally good
              No plan for after removing him, leading to a power vacuum, that allows extremist/terrorist groups to fill it = very very bad
              Originally posted by Old Greg
              I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
              ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
                Are you talking about Iraq wrt Nukes? Why?

BBC NEWS | Politics | Timeline: The 45-minute claim

Also,
                No plan for after removing him, leading to a power vacuum, that allows extremist/terrorist groups to fill it = very very bad
                That might be true to some extent but lets face it, not really within the UK's power. The US f**ed up big time. I completely disagree that it would have been better with Husseins son in charge, you think Sadam is a nutcase.

So was it the right decision, yes it was, we now don't have Trump, Israel and Iraq in some sort of stand off. could have a civil war been avoided, I don't know but yes the US screwed up. If Blair had stood on the sidelines it would have been even worse.

Would have Margaret Thatcher done it better ? no way.
                Last edited by BlasterBates; 6 October 2017, 13:07.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

That might be true to some extent but lets face it, not really within the UK's power. The US f**ed up big time. I completely disagree that it would have been better with Husseins son in charge, you think Sadam is a nutcase.

So was it the right decision, yes it was, we now don't have Trump, Israel and Iraq in some sort of stand off. could have a civil war been avoided, I don't know but yes the US screwed up. If Blair had stood on the sidelines it would have been even worse.

Would have Margaret Thatcher done it better ? no way.
                  Don't think anyone has ever suggested that tbh.

Not having a power vacuum doesn't equate to just giving power to the former tyrant's son

As part of the 'coalition of the willing', we are party to the overall mess afterwards.

There was always the possibility of following the UN SCs resolutions and asking everyone to support a motion for regime change and then, maybe everybody would have thought about the aftermath a little more...
                  ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
                    Also,
                    It's like Brexit. You need to understand the alternatives. I don't much care for the EU (although I'm not hugely bothered, and I can see some positives), but the alternative is madness.

Comment

It's like Brexit. You need to understand the alternatives. I don't much care for the EU (although I'm not hugely bothered, and I can see some positives), but the alternative is madness.
                      Not really, no.

Unilaterally removing a mad dictator, hell bent on consolidating his power, cracking down on human rights and not having any credible plan for the aftermath
                      EU, ever-closer union with QMV, no condemnation of violence in Catalonia, EU won't talk about trade until the exact divorce bill is agreed causing uncertainty

Oh wait, you are right

On a serious note though, surely if the alternative is madness, by definition, you should actually care for the EU?
                      ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Working...
                      X