• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

One mans loss is another mans gain

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our company sacked a guy about two weeks ago for lying on his CV, apparently told them he had a Math degree from a Budapest University but turns out he had one in History.

OK , his job was as a mathematician and I worked with him to convert algorithms into MT Java code, but the degree he lied about was 23 years ago and he seemed to know his job, although I have no idea if the algorithms work as I don't get paid anything like him to know.

Now we have a professor from UK University who has come over on a €1000 Euro work from home (most days) contract to double check everything he has done over the last 5 months so they have renewed my contract as well (nothing like the rate he is on).

So six more months of doing virtually nothing except putting leavers bang to rights on their misfortune.
    Warning unicorn meat may give you hallucinations

I would fire the person who took 5 months to check his CV.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
      Well I am not sure they didn't but not sure HR staff would sack themselves, I do know that everyone is now getting the third degree on their CV before getting a renewal, as we have all been asked to provide evidence of work going back many years.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
        I expect Soviet era academic administrators make the average British council jobsworth look like they're going round on roller skates with fireworks up their arse. Under those circumstances, 5 months might well be regarded as highly impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by motoukenin View Post
          Did he steal some apostrophes when he left?
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Now we have a professor from UK University who has come over on a €1000 Euro work from home (most days) contract to double check everything he has done over the last 5 months so they have renewed my contract as well (nothing like the rate he is on).
            He's come over on a work from home €1000 Euro contract? Is that double Euros for being away from home and working from home?
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Well I lost 60 seconds of my life I'll never get back reading this. I wonder who is going to gain from that?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                Did he steal some apostrophes when he left?
                Sorry don't have time to check punctation as I am at work and unlike many on here technically not allowed to spend time on CUK, so you will have to make do without.

Comment

Sorry don't have time to check punctation as I am at work and unlike many on here technically not allowed to spend time on CUK, so you will have to make do without.
                  Neither am I but it helps if your are paying for the connection.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Well I lost 60 seconds of my life I'll never get back reading this. I wonder who is going to gain from that?
                    Leavers and to some extent remainers will gain from my extensive knowledge of economics which they have proven time and time again they have no idea about.

Comment

Working...
                    X