Catalonia referendum: Thousands rally for Spanish unity Catalonia referendum: Thousands rally for Spanish unity
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 45
  1. #1

    More fingers than teeth

    scooterscot is a fount of knowledge

    scooterscot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Anywhere that is not broken Brexit Britain
    Posts
    19,530

    Default Catalonia referendum: Thousands rally for Spanish unity

    There's something you'll not see in England when Scotland holds a referendum. Quite the opposite in fact. Sign of our times.


    Thousands of people calling for Spanish unity have attended rallies in the capital Madrid after Sunday's disputed referendum for Catalan independence.
    Other demonstrations - including in the Catalan city Barcelona - have also been held urging political dialogue.

    Protesters dressed in white gathered with signs saying "Spain is better than its leaders" and "let's talk".

    Businesses have continued to announce their departure from the Catalan region amid the ongoing political uncertainty.

    The Caixa Foundation, which controls one of the Spain's largest banks, announced it was moving its headquarters to Palma de Mallorca while the crisis continues.
    source: Catalonia referendum: Thousands rally for Spanish unity - BBC News
    “We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible. And we count these moments. These moments when we dare to aim higher, to break barriers, to reach for the stars, to make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that. Or perhaps we've just forgotten that we are still pioneers. And we've barely begun. And that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us.”

  2. #2

    Godlike

    Mordac is a fount of knowledge

    Mordac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Civilisation-ish
    Posts
    8,716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scooterscot View Post
    There's something you'll not see in England when Scotland holds a referendum. Quite the opposite in fact. Sign of our times.




    source: Catalonia referendum: Thousands rally for Spanish unity - BBC News
    The simple fact is every time you lot wheel out the Krankie, we come over all nauseous, and start thinking "just ******** get it all over with". The trouble with you jocks is you can't even agree amongst yourselves whether you want to be independent, so you really should be a bit more understanding when we can't be arsed to give a sh!t.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

  3. #3

    I live on CUK

    SueEllen is a fount of knowledge

    SueEllen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    in the Park
    Posts
    29,065

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scooterscot View Post
    There's something you'll not see in England when Scotland holds a referendum. Quite the opposite in fact. Sign of our times.

    source: Catalonia referendum: Thousands rally for Spanish unity - BBC News
    You Scots want independence? Then as far as I'm concerned, like other country in the former British Empire, you have a right to self-determination and to become a nation state.

    Forcing an area of the UK or an overseas territory to be governed in a way they don't want is simply not on.

    This is the main reason why lots of people especially younger ones don't have an issue if Scots vote in the majority for independence.

    Hence the Scottish situation is completely different from the Spanish regions one.
    Last edited by SueEllen; 7th October 2017 at 21:20.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

  4. #4

    More fingers than teeth

    BlasterBates - scorchio!

    BlasterBates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    1922 Commitee
    Posts
    14,021

    Default

    Could Wales be next?

    WALES could be the next European region to declare freedom after independence campaigners took to the streets today in support of last week’s Catalonia referendum.
    It's all happening


    I'm alright Jack

  5. #5

    Godlike

    Mordac is a fount of knowledge

    Mordac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Civilisation-ish
    Posts
    8,716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Could Wales be next?



    It's all happening


    Around 40 people attended the public event in Llangefni town centre, which was backed by Welsh independence movement ‘Yes Cymru’ today.
    40? As revolutions go, it's not exactly up there with the Russian or French efforts. So when you say "it's all happening", well, it sort of "isn't", really...
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

  6. #6

    Fingers like lightning

    chopper is NOT a disguised employee


    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    998

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SueEllen View Post
    You Scots want independence?
    Past... Some do, but most don't. Some of the 'some' struggle with simple maths and so think they are in a majority.

  7. #7

    Suffers Fools...Badly!

    shaunbhoy is always on top

    shaunbhoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Devon
    Posts
    29,684
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

  8. #8

    Fingers like lightning

    GJABS - scorchio!

    GJABS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    946

    Default

    That's because the rest of Spain Don't want to lose Catalan tax revenue. Whereas England doesn't care about losing Scottish tax revenue, as the English pay out a greater amount to the Scottish in public spending.

  9. #9

    Old Greg is my bitch's bitch

    northernladyuk is a fount of knowledge

    northernladyuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Working the streets of your imagination
    Posts
    9,459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scooterscot View Post
    There's something you'll not see in England when Scotland holds a referendum. Quite the opposite in fact. Sign of our times.




    source: Catalonia referendum: Thousands rally for Spanish unity - BBC News
    Beyonce said she would arrange an international benefit concert to buy you all deep fat fryers so you can subsist off deer and wildcat.
    Where there's muck there's brass.

  10. #10

    More fingers than teeth

    scooterscot is a fount of knowledge

    scooterscot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Anywhere that is not broken Brexit Britain
    Posts
    19,530

    Default

    I'm one of them.

    We just want independence.
    “We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible. And we count these moments. These moments when we dare to aim higher, to break barriers, to reach for the stars, to make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that. Or perhaps we've just forgotten that we are still pioneers. And we've barely begun. And that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us.”

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •