• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor Mortgage - Living Location - Advice Please.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    That's a very cynical take on it, Susie. I'm surprised at you. There is no reason the think this is a back-door BTL.
    I was racking my brains to work out why a mortgage broker would come out with that tulip and that's the only thing I could think off.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
      It's a risk factor for the lender as it's assumed you'll spend a fecking fortune commuting, go mental from too much commuting and lose your job, or else just let the place out without telling them. That's why.
      Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Really???

I think the real risk is they think the OP is trying to get a BTL mortgage through another route.
      I said that. Haven't you had a G&T to steady the ship yet this morning?

As I also said, it's a question of risk - buying a place that's nowhere near where you live or work is going to be flagged up.

Comment

are you a test manager or a manager of testers?
        Have you considered the possibility that he might be a tester of managers?

Comment

Well I certainly have now. Thank you. The 'he' is a little presumptive.

Comment

Originally posted by testmanager View Post
            Hi all,

First time post so go easy...

I am an IT contractor having worked within this field as self employed for over 5 years.

I am trying to secure a mortgage on a property which is away from my current contracted location, as a first time buyer.

I have been told by a mortgage broker (Habito) that trying to gain a mortgage within a location to which I have no 'ties' is impossible and not worth trying.

My argument being, as an IT Contractor I could work anywhere in country depending on where the contract is based, as I have done, Liverpool, Brighton, London etc, so, should it really matter? As long as I can cover the mortgage payment.

So my question is - has anyone had this type of issue before or heard of such a thing?

I have an AIP (agreement in principal) from Halifax but before I pursue it with a home near where I am currently contracted, I am keen to hear other peoples thoughts.

Thank you.
            Change you broker because they're talking rubbish. Presumably, you live in a place other than your 'contract location'?

Buying a property in a location other than where you live or work happens all the time. I suspect the broker is just wanting an easy life for their fee \ commission.

With 5 years contracting history and accounts, you really shouldnt be having obstacles like this put in your way.

Comment

PS are you a test manager or a manager of testers?
              Nope, not a manager of testers.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Contractor Mortgage - Living Location - Advice Please.

Habito are a fairly recent startup. You’d be best to go with a broker who is used to dealing with contractors, rather than a new business that isn’t clued in on our area of business.

...provided you are talking about a proper mortgage on a primary residence, not a disguised BTL or buying something through your company.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  Habito are a fairly recent startup. You’d be best to go with a broker who is used to dealing with contractors, rather than a new business that isn’t clued in on our area of business.

...provided you are talking about a proper mortgage on a primary residence, not a disguised BTL or buying something through your company.
                  Cynic.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

How do we feel that Testmangler is going to feel about someone almost impersonating him?
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                      How do we feel that Testmangler is going to feel about someone almost impersonating him?
                      In a cool and calm manner I expect.

Comment

Working...
                      X