• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When there's nothing to do...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I do is to find some service improvement that can be made and offer ClientCo to do it in addition to what I'm there for. If they decline I can resume browsing the internet with clear conscious, so far it's about 50/50 success rate (whichever direction you want to call success)

Comment

Thank **** we don't have a water cooler...
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
        Is the onus on me to tell them?

I do feel a little bit guilty spending all day surfing the web for £80 per hour.....
        My barrister does that for £400 an hour and does not feel guilty.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          Well done you for only charging 1/2 rates.
          she said per hour not per day!
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
            I'm sure they would rather you were doing that than engaging them in conversation over the water cooler.
            Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
            Stop being a slave to the invoice and if work is light, take some time off.

It counts towards being outside IR35 (as a provable work practice) when you are telling the client you won't be onsite (or working remotely) due to nothing to do at that moment and for them to contact you when the next phase of the project (or whatever) is ready.

So by skiving on the client's dime you are only digging yourself into a hole if HMRC investigate your working practices and find you were behaving like a lazy permie.

Well, I've had the conversation & they've come back with that dreaded acronym.

B.A.U.

Think I'm going to tell them to call me when there's actually some project work on tap again.

Comment

Originally posted by pip in a poke View Post
              well, i've had the conversation & they've come back with that dreaded acronym.

wgas gtfo.
              ftfy hth bidi
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
                Well, I've had the conversation & they've come back with that dreaded acronym.

B.A.U.

Think I'm going to tell them to call me when there's actually some project work on tap again.
                Yes I loved a bit of BAU, in that when they tried to get me to do some I told them I could only do strictly project based work (as an agreed working practice with my 'handler' at the client) and if they really wanted me to do it they'd need to wrap it up as a mini project. They never could be bothered to do that, and found some other mug to do it.
                Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                  Thank **** we don't have a water cooler...
                  We do now!

Comment

Working...
                  X