• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When there's nothing to do...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When there's nothing to do...

Is the onus on me to tell them?

I do feel a little bit guilty spending all day surfing the web for £80 per hour.....

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post

I do feel a little bit guilty spending all day surfing the web for £80 per hour.....
    Well done you for only charging 1/2 rates.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Aren't there any documents to improve? Code improvement to do?
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I'm sure they would rather you were doing that than engaging them in conversation over the water cooler.
        Last edited by northernladyuk; 9 October 2017, 14:56.

Comment

If you're working at home, do some exercise while watching a movie. It helps make you feel that you've achieved something.

If you're working in the client office, exercise your right as an independent consultant to take your work offsite, where you can then watch a movie and work out.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
            If you're working at home, do some exercise while watching a movie. It helps make you feel that you've achieved something.

If you're working in the client office, exercise your right as an independent consultant to take your work offsite, where you can then watch a movie and work out.
            I was up at the crack of sparrow fart this morning.

4:30 am to be precise for my 4 hour Monday morning commute.

I have nothing left to give.

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
            I'm sure they would rather you were doing that than engaging them in conversation over the water cooler.
            How uncharitable.

I am, oddly enough, one of those people who enjoys imparting interesting factoids to whoever is within earshot whilst I'm at the water cooler.
            Last edited by Pip in a Poke; 9 October 2017, 15:05.

Comment

Stop being a slave to the invoice and if work is light, take some time off.

It counts towards being outside IR35 (as a provable work practice) when you are telling the client you won't be onsite (or working remotely) due to nothing to do at that moment and for them to contact you when the next phase of the project (or whatever) is ready.

So by skiving on the client's dime you are only digging yourself into a hole if HMRC investigate your working practices and find you were behaving like a lazy permie.
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

You could at least join the 'had a wank and invoiced for it club'

Comment

Reminds me of my first client...
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I am, oddly enough, one of those people who enjoys imparting inneresting factoids to whoever is within earshot whilst I'm at the water cooler.
                    I don't doubt it.

Comment

Working...
                    X