• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The CUK Water Cooler

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The CUK Water Cooler

All credit to NLYUK for this thread, for I would never have thought of it had he not planted the seed in my mind yesterday, but how about a virtual water cooler around which the good folks of General can gather to exchange some inneresting titbits?

Yes, I really can't stress how much this is his brainchild so please do rep away and give him the recognition he deserves.

Allow me to make the first contribution.

You know how we talk about a water cooler moment - that moment when we all connect when discussing what we viewed on BBC television last night - it's something we very much associate with modern office life but did you know that there's nothing new about it at all?

Ever heard the expression "What's the scuttlebutt?" Well, a scuttlebutt is a nautical term for a wooden cask from which water was dispensed and in times gone by sailors would gather around the scuttlebutt and exchange gossip just as we do when we gather round the water cooler.

Fascinating stuff.

Once again, thanks to NLYUK without whom none of this would have happened.

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
    All credit to NLYUK for this thread, for I would never have thought of it had he not planted the seed in my mind yesterday, but how about a virtual water cooler around which the good folks of General can gather to exchange some inneresting titbits?

Yes, I really can't stress how much this is his brainchild so please do rep away and give him the recognition he deserves.

You know how we talk about a water cooler moment - that moment when we all connect when discussing what we viewed on BBC television last night - it's something we very much associate with modern office life but did you know that there's nothing new about it at all?

Ever heard the expression "What's the scuttlebutt?" Well, a scuttlebutt is a nautical term for a wooden cask from which water was dispensed and in times gone by sailors would gather around the scuttlebutt and exchange gossip just as we do when we gather round the water cooler.

Fascinating stuff.

I liked Gricer.

Comment

Was it your mind he planted the seed in?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Was it your mind he planted the seed in?
        No, mouth.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post

Fascinating stuff.

I find that when I want some water from the cooler, there always seem to be a load of gossiping old women (not necessarily female) in my way!
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            I find that when I want some water from the cooler, there always seem to be a load of gossiping old women (not necessarily female) in my way!
            Next time you want a drink when visiting NLyUK's establishment, bring your own. You can never be too sure it is water anyway....

Comment

Kind of like a forum, in which topics of general interest can be discussed?

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                As opposed to trolling and general nastiness? Gosh that would be a light relief.

Comment

But worse.

Comment

It was NLYUK who came up with the idea, why don't you ask him?

Comment

Working...
                    X