• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another One

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    And plenty don't.
    So if plenty do and plenty don't, it is a false dichotomy.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
      So if plenty do and plenty don't, it is a false dichotomy.
      Not necessarily, plenty /= most or a majority, just that there is enough to satisfy a need, be it physical or opinion. Both guilty of using a noun where a comparative adjective would be more appropriate.
      But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
          Not necessarily, plenty /= most or a majority, just that there is enough to satisfy a need, be it physical or opinion. Both guilty of using a noun where a comparative adjective would be more appropriate.
          Plenty defines the number at least >0, so it is a false dichotomy. 'Plenty' in this context is a pronoun, not a noun, and is correct and sufficient to define a false dichotomy.

Regrettably, you are displaying a lack of education. It is a pity nobody took the trouble to teach you some Latin.

Comment

Plenty defines the number at least >0, so it is a false dichotomy. 'Plenty' in this context is a pronoun, not a noun, and is correct and sufficient to define a false dichotomy.

Regrettably, you are displaying a lack of education. It is a pity nobody took the trouble to teach you some Latin.
            To be fair, I thought he was doing OK, for an ape...you could maybe chuck him a banana ffs...
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Show me that proof. Plenty is not a mathematical function. Can you imagine a requirement: 'give the engine plenty of fuel'.

Nice jibe on the Latin, are you published? I am, perhaps we could exchange papers, mine's on Horace odes 3.14.
              But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Show me that proof. Plenty is not a mathematical function. Can you imagine a requirement: 'give the engine plenty of fuel'.
                You mean like the requirements plenty of us get from business users until we nail them down?

Nice jibe on the Latin, are you published? I am, perhaps we could exchange papers, mine's on Horace odes 3.14.

Not sure why NLyUK brought up Latin may have well have brought up philosophy.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Apologies. I just assumed you were uneducated from your poor grasp of grammar. Plenty is a pronoun in the context used. It could stand for either countable countable nouns.

Comment

some bloke phoned in to LBC and was saying we should have gone there, arrested her and try to rehabilitate her. I was visualising Rimmer

It would have been funny if wasn't so serious.

She wanted to been seen as a soldier she got to die as one. Good riddance. Drones may well be the nuclear alternative for terrorists, making sure they just don't bother, however we do need to keep an eye on them.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                      some bloke phoned in to LBC and was saying we should have gone there, arrested her and try to rehabilitate her.
                      That's cos she was a blonde haired blue eyed woman who obviously can't be evil.

Anyone who tried to arrest her would be dead.

A terrorist is a terrorist regardless of what they look like.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X