• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

world faces antibiotic apocalypse

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More media hype. I linked to a proper discussion earlier. What you don't hear about are the advances in broad-spectrum AB's. These are (for the media mad) 'the last line of defence', but are actually very sophisticated pharmaceuticals, with the research to back it up. You won't ever here of them unless you've been to an ITU as a patient.

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
      More media hype. I linked to a proper discussion earlier. What you don't hear about are the advances in broad-spectrum AB's. These are (for the media mad) 'the last line of defence', but are actually very sophisticated pharmaceuticals, with the research to back it up. You won't ever here of them unless you've been to an ITU as a patient.

I know from experience, watching House M.D., that broad spectrum ABs never cured anyone.
      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        Effectively, yes. Many vaccines work by giving the patient a weakened or dead dose of the disease.
        That's innoculation rather than vaccination.

Before Jenner realised that Cowpox worked as a vaccination for Smallpox people used to innoculate with actual smallpox

They'd take the pus from a smallpox sore, and inject (when I say inject it wasn't syringes it was big fecking knives) it into a part of the body you didn't mind scaring (arms and legs mainly).

/pedant
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          That's innoculation rather than vaccination.

Before Jenner realised that Cowpox worked as a vaccination for Smallpox people used to innoculate with actual smallpox

They'd take the pus from a smallpox sore, and inject (when I say inject it wasn't syringes it was big fecking knives) it into a part of the body you didn't mind scaring (arms and legs mainly).

/pedant
          Either that or death from smallpox.

You pays your money you take your risk.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Either that or death from smallpox.

You pays your money you take your risk.
            It wasn't a universally popular strategy. It did work though, particularly it was done to healthy people rather than poorly people.
            If you get enough people then herd immunity starts to help.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
            X