• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

world faces antibiotic apocalypse

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
    I also originate from Africa. I must be a health hazard, too? 🦁
    So everyone is a health hazard...
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
      No, you politically correct twat, I don't.

I know they're viruses.

I also know they all originate in Africa.

HTH.
      He's not being politically correct he's pointing out the difference between viruses and bacteria.

And if you want either to stop spreading then you need to stop eating meat, eating fruit and veg, eating anything with water in it, stop breathing and stop shagging.

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
        I also originate from Africa. I must be a health hazard, too? ��
        Apparently to suggest you're not is political correctness.

Such is the analytical ability of the bigots - everything bad,, everything that goes wrong is because of immigration. Multi drug resistance bacteria? Bloody immigrants bringing in their super bugs. The storm due tomorrow? Bloody immigrant air currents, pushing out good old fashioned British air. To deny it is political correctness....
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Meanwhile, back to the OP, this is what has lingered with me this year...

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...a-val-mcdermid
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            No. It's the over- and mis- use of antibiotics. The mechanism is well established.

TB wasn't eliminated in the west. There was always a pool of it. Very little (if anything) to do with immigration - except in the minds of the more bigoted and ignorant.

A dirty hospital will mean that you're more likely to catch the disease, but it's not what causes bacteria to develop resistance.
            Unfortunately the Bigots in the WHO disagree with you

http://www.euro.who.int/__data/asset...Bmigration.pdf

Human migration from high-incidence countries to Europe is a relevant phenomenon,
            increasing over time.
            • The incidence of TB among foreign-born populations living in Europe is up to 50 times
            higher than that of native populations.
            • Foreign-born populations settled in Europe have an increased risk of developing TB, due to
            reactivation of latent TB infection contracted in their country of origin.
            EUR/TB/FS07
            page 2
            • A significant proportion (up to 70%) of TB cases notified in Europe are in foreign-born
            populations.
            of course they are a bit thick as well.

Yes there was a small pool of TB but it was considered well under control. The explosion in TB cases is clearly caused by travel from high TB areas. If you think the TB infection cares much about what race / culture it infects then you are the bigot.

There are some infections & diseases that do have a preference but TB is an equal opportunity killer, our failure to screen is giving it an opportunity. Now you can dismiss that as bigotry or understand it as pragmatism.

Whilst the spread of C-Diff responded better to targeted usage of antibiotics their evolution follows opportunity just as Darwin suggested Micheal Moseley did a good documentary on it and Science Daily did a piece with short words for you.

BBC Four - Michael Mosley vs The Superbugs

https://www.sciencedaily.com/terms/a...resistance.htm

If you keep the hospitals clean and the cases isolated you WILL see less of them.

Reducing the use of antibiotics gives the infections less opportunities to mutate so it does make sense. However they have found resistant bacteria in caves sealed since the dinosaurs.
            Last edited by vetran; 15 October 2017, 13:26.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              He's not being politically correct he's pointing out the difference between viruses and bacteria.

And if you want either to stop spreading then you need to stop eating meat, eating fruit and veg, eating anything with water in it, stop breathing and stop shagging.

or be careful what you eat, drink & shag. Maybe even check them before you give them to the public.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                Unfortunately the Bigots in the WHO disagree with you

http://www.euro.who.int/__data/asset...Bmigration.pdf

of course they are a bit thick as well.

Yes there was a small pool of TB but it was considered well under control. The explosion in TB cases is clearly caused by travel from hi TB areas. If you think the TB infection cares much about what race / culture it infects then you are the bigot.

There are some infections & diseases that do have a preference but TB is an equal opportunity killer, our failure to screen is giving it an opportunity. Now you can dismiss that as bigotry or understand it as pragmatism.

Whilst the spread of C-Diff responded better to targeted usage of antibiotics their evolution follows opportunity just as Darwin suggested Micheal Moseley did a good documentary on it and Science Daily did a piece with short words for you.

BBC Four - Michael Mosley vs The Superbugs

https://www.sciencedaily.com/terms/a...resistance.htm

If you keep the hospitals clean and the cases isolated you WILL see less of them.

Reducing the use of antibiotics gives the infections less opportunities to mutate so it does make sense. However they have found resistant bacteria in caves sealed since the dinosaurs.
                Is there any vaccination plan in the UK?
                There are vaccines for tuberculosis, the parents that don't vaccinate their kids believing in conspiracy theories should be punished.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
                  There are vaccines for tuberculosis, the parents that don't vaccinate their kids believing in conspiracy theories should be punished.
                  There are, but if you bothered to read the link most sufferers in the UK are not native so weren't vaccinated. Vaccine is not 100% effective and the reality is TB sufferers will need treating at the expense of others.

Now if we screened & vaccinated at arrival we could make TB a nearly extinct disease in the UK again. So yes if you came from a high TB area you are a greater risk, but if we screen you can become low risk.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
                    Everyone around the age of 14 use to be vaccinated in the UK. It stopped sometime around the 00s*.

Anyway now only those under 35 particularly young children with South East Asian heritage and a few other nationalities such as Albanian were there is a known risk of catching TB either from visiting relatives or from travelling to those countries are offered vaccinations.

*I can get a more accurate date from those who work in the "field".

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      Everyone around the age of 14 use to be vaccinated in the UK. It stopped sometime around the 00s*.

Anyway now only those under 35 particularly young children with South East Asian heritage and a few other nationalities such as Albanian were there is a known risk of catching TB either from visiting relatives or from travelling to those countries are offered vaccinations.

*I can get a more accurate date from those who work in the "field".
                      Indeed forgot that, the risk in the UK was so low we stopped vaccinating

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...ools.education

Comment

Working...
                      X