• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

world faces antibiotic apocalypse

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, but are they immigrant dogs and cats?
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      Indeed forgot that, the risk in the UK was so low we stopped vaccinating

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...ools.education

Yet there's a massive badger cull ongoing. Bovine TB in your milk and beef.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...0-animals-shot

Seems the cull is more expensive than vaccinating the cattle.

Maybe they'll start culling the sick humans instead of vaccinating them too.
      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Comment

I asked 3 cats and a dog.

2 of the cats just glared at me and stalked away, while one rubbed against me until I stroked his stomach. The dog just barked and ran in circles.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
            Yet there's a massive badger cull ongoing. Bovine TB in your milk and beef.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...0-animals-shot

Seems the cull is more expensive than vaccinating the cattle.

Maybe they'll start culling the sick humans instead of vaccinating them too.
            AIUI the reason for not vaccinating cattle is that it's not possible to tell the difference between a vaccinated cow and an infected one.

Comment

AIUI the reason for not vaccinating cattle is that it's not possible to tell the difference between an immigrant cow and a UK citizen.
              FTFY

Comment

AIUI the reason for not vaccinating cattle is that it's not possible to tell the difference between a vaccinated cow and an infected one.
                So when they say vaccinate they mean give them TB.

Though if the UK population were vaccinated against TB then what difference does it make if the cattle have a 'bit of a cough'?
                Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

They can do a test and vaccinate the ones with negative tests, but all these procedures to control the disease are more expensive. Cutting on vaccines it's a plan to reduce costs, the same in humans. Giving up the TB vaccine in humans assuming that the people don't travel it's stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
                    They can do a test and vaccinate the ones with negative tests, but all these procedures to control the disease are more expensive. Cutting on vaccines it's a plan to reduce costs, the same in humans. Giving up the TB vaccine in humans assuming that the people don't travel it's stupid.
                    In the UK health care is done on a cost risk analysis.

Hence it was worked out unless you came from certain communities it wasn't cost effective to vaccinate you against TB as you were unlikely to get it. Plus it doesn't work for the type of TB the majority of adults get.

On the other hand it is cost effective to give certain other people with weakened immune systems antibiotics if they get what looks like a bacterial infection, as it is cheaper in keeping them out of hospital where they will be given stronger more broad spectrum IV antibiotics.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                      So when they say vaccinate they mean give them TB.
                      Effectively, yes. Many vaccines work by giving the patient a weakened or dead dose of the disease.

And yes on the one hand, there are tests that are more expensive that can tell the difference. On the other hand, for the export market, that's a non-starter. The buyers will just get clean cows from elsewhere. On the gripping hand, we won't have an export market for much longer, so we might as well vaccinate the cows now.

Comment

Working...
                      X