• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Own up who was on the test team for this one?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Own up who was on the test team for this one?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...gner-to-n-word

I find referring to someone by the color of their skin "black foreigner" not that much different than using a the N-word outright.

In subsequent tests, users found the app used the racial slur almost exclusively in negative contexts, including with the words late, lazy, and thief. But in many neutral sentences the word – hei laowai in Chinese – was translated into English as its literal meaning of “black foreigner”.
    So the translator is actually too clever for its own good and manages to catch nuances/context in a sentence.

Comment

Honest, direct translation from one language to another is rarely desirable. It will lack nuance, context and cultural differences.

My understanding is that the Chinese have a very racist culture. When I worked there they were very offensive about anything Japanese (filthy f***ing animals being the common English phrase they used to describe the Japanese).
      So it may not have been as accidental as Wechat may want to make it seem.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
      X